Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on my work, please!

Options
  • 21-09-2009 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi All

Can you please give advise. Did i do a good job on this site (www.DrivingTestTips.ie) and if i should change anything what would be better.

Trying to give people what they want.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

- header width should meet menu width
    - footer width should meet menu width
    - menu font colour should be black [yellow on white?]
    - Font wise, arial will look better, in black
    - Too much padding on left on content
    - Test questions inner div with scroll bar perhaps
    - Contact us form fields different widths? user border property/coloured submit button
    - Login form, the button is touching the password field [why why why why?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Making the driving test easier.
    For all your driving test needs.
    Pick a slogan.
    Personally I'd go with the first one and ditch "For all your <whatever> needs", it's so ridiculously trite and corny.

I'd find some way of cropping out the dodgy-looking smudge in the bottom left of the banner... the site might even benefit from having a less tall banner.

Try using less jpeg compression, this image looks fuzzy and dirty because it's over compressed.

An immediate improvement would be to rethink your background & font colours... try an all white background and black text... the blue/grey is a bit ugly and seems a bit arbitrary.

The videos I've watched have an annoying whistle throughout, which is something you could probably do a good job of EQ'ing out in editing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Thanks for your comments.

:oThe two slogans:o ye i will sort this asap.

Is the font that bad? well if so I will need to do something there as well.

I will work on all these and thanks, any more while I'm at it:o

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Are you a web designer looking to improve your design skills, or an entrepreneur trying to make some cash.

If you're the former, you really need to use a grid to get a solid design behind it, improve your typography, learn how to use contrast in design, use better imagery and generlly keep practicing and trying to learn actual core graphic design skills.

If it's the latter, i'd just buy a driving lessons template and customise that, it'll result in a far more profressional result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

p wrote: »
    Are you a web designer looking to improve your design skills, or an entrepreneur trying to make some cash.

If you're the former, you really need to use a grid to get a solid design behind it, improve your typography, learn how to use contrast in design, use better imagery and generlly keep practicing and trying to learn actual core graphic design skills.

If it's the latter, i'd just buy a driving lessons and customise that, it'll result in a far more profressional result.
    I'm presuming that supposed to be 'template' then?

• Advertisement

ooops - that's right, sorry bout that.

p wrote: »

If it's the latter, i'd just buy a driving lessons template and customise that, it'll result in a far more profressional result.

I had to learn how to build the website (in a year) because i was let down by a company and could not trust anyone to do this job, "so i did it myself".

I had to learn HTML, JavaScript, CSS, php, SQL and MySQL. I had also to do all the videos and learn how to edit and publish them. So as you can imagine my design skills are not the best, but i don't know where.

Thanks for the advice. I'll Do my best.

Well, we all have ot start somewhere - you should see my first site! :D

I'd recommend these two books. They'll compliment the technicall skills you've learned with more graphic design skills:
    http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers-Web-Book-Robin-Williams/dp/0201710382
    http://www.fivesimplesteps.co.uk/

This is the type of thing i went by???

* Few images, carefully used. Pictures can be an important part of your site, especially if people want to see your products before they buy them. But keep your images simple and clean so that they load quickly and are easy to focus on once they have loaded.
    * Lots of white space. This is especially true in text. Long paragraphs are very difficult to read on the computer, and people will generally click away if they experience that much frustration. Keep your text short, and use bold-faced headings, numbers, and bullet points. The more white space you have, the easier it is for your viewers to find their place and keep it.
    * Good fonts. This includes both size and style. Headlines can be a bigger font than paragraphs, but even paragraphs should be big enough for a reader to skim them. A unique font can give your website style, but if it's too unique, it will be too much work to read.
    * Keep your content up to date. Your images, prices, articles, and news links should be up-to-date, within a day. Your customers and viewers should have something new to look at every time they visit.

emmmmm?

I am starting to do some work on the site, so if you have any more advice please don't hold back as it will be better to fix all now.

Also I am thinking of changing the layout from tables to Div tags. what do ye think?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Please PM me if their are any jobs which are better said in a PM.

I don't understand the "hmmm website?" comment in the email.

more information would help me to fix, as i don't see what your talking about, Please PM me.

Thanks

Deleted

Advertisement