Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Server or no Server for new business

• 21-09-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    What are the options for a small business with 2 users that require email, backup of files, and limited file sharing.
    Our users are:
    1 desinger (me) requiring email, and some way of backing up drawings and the usual MS office docs and accounts

One salesman requiring sharing and backup of excell and word docs plus email

One XP manufacturing machine that requires no backups just a mapped drive to drop a few files

Thanks, any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

Its a big cost for a few users, imap mail and a few external hardrives. YOu could use XP pc to shar your file, can you connect 10 max pc's to access these shares
    DO you need security on these shares?
    Do you need to share mailboxes/ Calanders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

t wex wrote: »
    Thanks, any advice greatly appreciated

Google for Applications is free for businesses with less than 50 people. That's email sorted.

There are loads of online backup solutions where you can store off site backups, have a google.

If you need a local shared drive get yourself a NAS (assuming you have a network). This can also be used for local backup.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/17295/xx/xx/441/9/criteresn.html

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

NAS box, cat 5e cables, usb disk and 2 pop3 emails accounts

thats all u need and could be done very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 t wex

Thanks for the replies :)

The NAS box options looks like a good way to go and can get a Lacie box cheap from a mate and borrow his cat 5 crimps for an evening. Plus I have an old router gathering dust at home.

Have always worked in large offices where its all about servers and wondered do I really have to go down that route yet. Plus I like being able to take a Nas box off site as the office isn't in the most secure of places.

One last Q, Any recommendations on an antivirus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

t wex wrote: »
    One last Q, Any recommendations on an antivirus?

We use eset from nod32. Works, does not cause any performance problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

We use eset from nod32. Works, does not cause any performance problems.

+1 recommendation for NOD32.

You could also use Dropbox for off-site file storage/sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If your on a tight budget try Microsoft's Free Antivirus apparently its quite good.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

Advertisement