Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop Question, coverting to B&W

Options
  • 21-09-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I am trying to convert a coloured image to black and white in photoshop but for some reason I can't select the option. I have already converted a number of others to B & W but this one image does not want to change. I am using CS4. Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Sooz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well, there are a few ways of doing it.

1. Use a B&W filter layer.

2. Channel mixer layer.

2. Change the image mode to greyscale.

3. Desaturate the image.

I personally like using the B&W filters, and change the parameters to suit me as I'm doing it.

Check out the tutorials in the photography section of Boards:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055109387

You should get a few idea's from there.

A lot of people swear by the 'Guy Gowan' method.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055086135

Before you do though, make sure the image lends itself well to turning to B&W. Some people immediately think that a B&W image is going to lok great, when in fact the full colour version has far more qualities to it.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 soozyq

Thanks for the reply Dublin Gunner. I am doing a rollover image in dreamweaver. I have a series of images that I am converting but this one image will not change. It is like the option is not there to convert the image in question to b&w. Do you know if an image can be locked or something, which would stop me from being able to change its properties? It is very strange.

I've not heard of that.

But if you want to e-mail it to me, I'll convert it and send you back the PSD?

By any chance are you working on a locked background layer? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Have you tried converting it to B & W in another pic editor prior to use in photoshop? Infranview is good, last time I checked it was a free download, there are loads of others too...

Finally managed to convert to B&W using grey scale. The background was locked but even when I unlocked it, B&W was still not an option for some reason. Very strange indeed. Thanks for all your help.:)

• Advertisement

At least you got it sorted.

Once again - if you'd like me to try convert to B&W for you, and give you the PSD with layers back, I'll do that for you. Might give you a bit more flexibility in recolouring the image.

Thanks for the offer Dublin Gunner much appreciated. The grey scale is fine for what I am doing though. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you're using a colour mode like "Indexed Colour" then a lot of options like Black and White are greyed out. Go to Image and select mode. If Indexed is ticked change it to RGB 8bits/Channel.

If you copy a GIF file from the internet for example it is stored in Indexed colour space.

Advertisement