Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shot glass chess.

Options
  • 21-09-2009 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

In shot glass chess who drinks the captured piece?

The person who captured

or

The person who lost the piece?

I assumed it was the one who lost the piece, but the argument is that this will just put the game into a spiral as that person will get more and more sluggish while the winning player is sober. If the person who took the piece he will begin to get sluggish and the loosing player will start to get pieces and become sluggish too.

Also do you fill specific pieces with stronger drinks? beer in the pawns then gin rum and vodka in the rooks, bishops and knights. What would be the best for the king and queen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

We play a similar game to this. Its shot glass checkers. On persons glass are filled with clear alcohol eg vodka, gin and the others with coloured alcohol.

As for who drinks what, thats decided on a night to night basis. Some nights the winner drinks and some the loser drinks, depends on the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Absinthe in the king.

Everclear if you can get it in the queen, if not Poteen, if not Something STRONG.

http://www.shotglasschess.com/rules.htm

Them there rules seem good enough:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Absinthe in the king.

Everclear if you can get it in the queen, if not Poteen, if not Something STRONG.

http://www.shotglasschess.com/rules.htm

Them there rules seem good enough:D
    Everclear is bloody mental. Some laugh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

If you want the same effect of shot glass chess (killing braincells while playing chess)

but your islamic or teetotal or AA or something.

you could try Chess Boxing

Though I'm disapointed its not a round for each piece or something.

1 round for a pawn, 2 rounds for a king/bishop, 3 for a rook, 4 for a queen.

or something more closely tied (or parallel at least) rather then two seperate matches back and forth.

though braincell killing is your goal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Suppose that depends on if the aim of the game is to win the chess game or get drunk.

Reminds me of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy reference...

Ol Janx Spirit drinking game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The person who captured
    or
    The winner drinks, like in whiskey golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The person who captured

or

I assumed it was the one who lost the piece, but the argument is that this will just put the game into a spiral as that person will get more and more sluggish while the winning player is sober. If the person who took the piece he will begin to get sluggish and the loosing player will start to get pieces and become sluggish too.

Also do you fill specific pieces with stronger drinks? beer in the pawns then gin rum and vodka in the rooks, bishops and knights. What would be the best for the king and queen?

This sounds too complicated. Just give up and play the odd numbers game.

Get a deck of cards and each player picks out a card. If the number is even you're safe and if the number is odd then you take a drink.
    Gets you drunk quicker than playing a full game of chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Suppose that depends on if the aim of the game is to win the chess game or get drunk.

Reminds me of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy reference...

Ol Janx Spirit drinking game
    Actually that quote is far better in context

Ford stared at Arthur, and Arthur was astonished to find his will beginning to weaken. He didn’t realize that this was because of an old drinking game that Ford learned to play in the hyperspace ports that served the madranite mining belts in the star system of Orion Beta.

The game was not unlike the Earth game called Indian wrestling, and was played like this:

Two contestants would sit either side of a table, with a glass in front of each of them.

Between them would be placed a bottle of Janx Spirit (as immortalized in that ancient Orion mining song, “Oh, don’t give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/No, don’t you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/Won’t you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit”).

Each of the two contestants would then concentrate their will on the bottle and attempt to tip it and pour spirit into the glass of his opponent, who would then have to drink it.

The bottle would then be refilled. The game would be played again. And again.

Once you started to lose you would probably keep losing, because one of the effects of Janx Spirit is to depress telepsychic power.

As soon as a predetermined quantity had been consumed, the final loser would have to perform a forfeit, which was usually obscenely biological.

Ford Prefect usually played to lose.

Advertisement