Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fat/slim ps3 hdd big problem

Options
  • 20-09-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

hi, im making this trade to make people aware that if your trading in your ps3 for a slim with the intention of swapping your hdds make sure you back up your data as you cant swap the hdd without a format occuring. I have come face on with this problem now, i have a 250 gb hdd which i used all the time with my fat ps3 and i decided to trade it in for a slim in case id get a ylod. I thought i could just remove the slims hdd and put in my 250 gb hdd, this is not the case. I must now try get my fat ps3 back or get someone to allow me back up my data onto an ipod from there ps3. Im located in mitchelstown , cork so if theres any samaritans out there, please help or maybe you have a solution to my problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Why the hell would you trade you "fat" ps3 for a "slim" one? there is no technical advantage. Why are you afraid of a yellow light of death? FFS man you might as well be afraid of ball cancer, the chances are .5 of a percent you'll get a unit that will suffer this.. If you have had no problems why the hell would you shell out the cash?

I have had the "fat" ps2 and ps3 and on the ps2 compared to the slim I have found it a much better build and more solid. There isnt a hope in hell Id trade my fat ass ps3 for a stupidly fad slim one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Its more energy efficient and produces less noise plus smaller.Sure the fat one had a glossy finish and had the memory slots but it aint worth the risk. I had the chance to upgrade to the slim with next to no cost so i took it, its better than forking out loads for repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

tonydude wrote: »
    Its more energy efficient and produces less noise plus smaller.Sure the fat one had a glossy finish and had the memory slots but it aint worth the risk. I had the chance to upgrade to the slim with next to no cost so i took it, its better than forking out loads for repairs

also you now have a new one year warranty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

and not so long the value of fat will go down in a very low price... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

hi, im making this trade to make people aware that if your trading in your ps3 for a slim with the intention of swapping your hdds make sure you back up your data as you cant swap the hdd without a format occuring. I have come face on with this problem now, i have a 250 gb hdd which i used all the time with my fat ps3 and i decided to trade it in for a slim in case id get a ylod. I thought i could just remove the slims hdd and put in my 250 gb hdd, this is not the case. I must now try get my fat ps3 back or get someone to allow me back up my data onto an ipod from there ps3. Im located in mitchelstown , cork so if theres any samaritans out there, please help or maybe you have a solution to my problem.

There is no solution. It's a widely known security aspect of the PS3. The HDD will ONLY work on the PS3 that it was formated in. Should have backed it up first, mate. Or at least researched it.

The good news is, if you have any PSN purchases, you can download them again to your new PS3. However, you will want to DEACTIVATE your OLD PS3 from your PSN account. This should free up your "5 activations per game" limit.

Happy slimming. If I had the cash, I'd buy a slim. 2 PS3 is better than 1 :)

EDIT : IF you can get your PS3 back, even for an hour or two, you can backup your stuff to an external storage device. This is your only solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

produces less noise plus smaller.

My "fat" ps3 makes next to no noise expect for first 20 seconds of start-up... It also looks better than the slim. The only reason I'd upgrade would be for more memory and with your 250gb drive already I don't see the point... also there is no proof that ylod won't affect slim either...

Advertisement