Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta & ESPN to view UFC & TUF

Options
  • 20-09-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

OK before everyone starts getting excited and get mad.. Im just asking for an opinion..

I had Setanta.. and cancelled because I called Sky and the representitive said Setanta would no longer be showing future UFC,

OK then ESPN got the contract to show UFC events.. I subscribed..

Now Setanta have TUF season 10.. ESPN have live events (Which I think are doing a pretty bad job for a world wide well established broadcaster) and both are subscrition services..

aprox cost is

€15 for ESPN

€21 for setanta..

€21.50 Minimum for a sky package..

13.5% VAT..

Total === alot more than I can afford.. :(
    OK i can watch TUF 10 on line on youtube..

But theres nothing like watching it on tv.. hate watching stuff online.

Anyone else pissed off with all this???

Just One broadcaster with one subscription

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Be thankful that you don't live in America. It's much more costly to be an MMA fan there

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

Fozzy wrote: »
    Be thankful that you don't live in America. It's much more costly to be an MMA fan there

Why?? Cos they have almost all the fights in there own country.. cos digital tv is alot cheaper than here.. cos they have free MMA events all the time.. ?? why is it more expensive??

I lived in New York.. I know how much it costs..

Im not snapping back-- just being honest.. Americans hate being pricked around when it comes to there sports.. even GAA in The States is run like clock work..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

madonna123 wrote: »
    Why?? Cos they have almost all the fights in there own country.. cos digital tv is alot cheaper than here.. cos they have free MMA events all the time.. ?? why is it more expensive??

I lived in New York.. I know how much it costs..

Im not snapping back-- just being honest.. Americans hate being pricked around when it comes to there sports.. even GAA in The States is run like clock work..

Eh PPV?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mmaniac

As above poster says UFC is ppv over there the only events they get for free is the ones over in UK and Ireland. Im quite happy paying €10 a month for ESPN and watching the ultimate fighter online. myfightvideo is good for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

its a disgrace that people has subscribed to espn and
    still don't get to watch ultimate fighter
    i got setanta in for the ufc then cancelled it
    i havent got espn yet and dont intend to whilst the
    events start at 3am its the same as watching later on that day
    for free of course
    got sky sports back in as the streams were inconsistent so i
    had no choice as it was impossible to enjoy a match

• Advertisement

OK before everyone starts getting excited and get mad.. Im just asking for an opinion..

I had Setanta.. and cancelled because I called Sky and the representitive said Setanta would no longer be showing future UFC,

OK then ESPN got the contract to show UFC events.. I subscribed..

Now Setanta have TUF season 10.. ESPN have live events (Which I think are doing a pretty bad job for a world wide well established broadcaster) and both are subscrition services..

aprox cost is

€15 for ESPN

€21 for setanta..

€21.50 Minimum for a sky package..

13.5% VAT..

Total === alot more than I can afford.. :(
    OK i can watch TUF 10 on line on youtube..

But theres nothing like watching it on tv.. hate watching stuff online.

Anyone else pissed off with all this???

Just One broadcaster with one subscription

as far as tuf is concerned
    it airs wed nite in the states so
    you can watch it here thurs if you wish
    rather than having to wait till it airs here
    on sunday nite on some channel i never heard
    of a week ago

i was willing to pay for sky sports and setanta but
    when setanta lost mma racing and more i said f**k
    the lot of them
    i was fed up being ripped off and man we sure are being
    screwed here
    even the racing which was free with setanta costs £20 a month
    so f**k them and their £20...if i cant watch a race i wont bet on
    it so everyone lose except me i guess

mmaniac wrote: »
    As above poster says UFC is ppv over there the only events they get for free is the ones over in UK and Ireland. Im quite happy paying €10 a month for ESPN and watching the ultimate fighter online. myfightvideo is good for it.

Its €15 a mouth for me to watch ESPN.. and I dont wanna watch online so its €20 for Setanta..

Ok in the US they have PPV for live fights.. (the UFC get a direct portion of PPV sales).. They pay about $12-15 for a fight.. which is about €9.. theres one fight a mouth.. For the US to view all other UFC related shows.. TUF, Unleased, Full access etc they have Spike.. A fully deadicated broadcaster of UFC which is part of a package they pay about $20 a month for.. thats $30 (€20) a mouth for unlimited, full, up to date MMA and UFC news, shows and fights....

NOW

In comparision for me to watch here...

Its €60 a month.. Sky.. Setanta..ESPN..

I get a Live fight an avg once a month (which is bad quality, seriously compaired to what PPV broadcasting should be)...Thats ESPN

I get TUF seasion 10.. thats with Setanta..

THATS IT for my €60 MMA RELATED!!!! Maybe the very odd re-run of a fight or all access on ESPN

Seriously Guys we should be up in arms over this..

its the UFC that should answer also because they are the ones selling the TV rights to 2 seprate broadcasters.. in an effort to get twice as much revenue from Irish viewers.. (Remember they also get a portion of the US PPV sales too)

We can be mugs and pay it or refuse... and let UFC and Zuffa know that they will lose support from Irish Fans..

Eh PPV?

Paying for Pay-Per-View UFC events works out better value in the US than what we get here from ESPN and Setanta..

I would rather have one broadcaster have full UFC coverage of shows.. TUF, fight re-runs, all access, unleased ETC and maybe some more MMA related shows also a PPV channel with them that I pay for live fights..

One Broadcaster.. one subscription.. PPV would be the only additional cost on a live fight night..

I can assure you it would work out alot cheaper than what we are paying at the Minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ESPN have live events (Which I think are doing a pretty bad job for a world wide well established broadcaster)

How so? If you list all of the problems that you had on Saturday night then it has already been established that problem is on your end.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    How so? If you list all of the problems that you had on Saturday night then it has already been established that problem is on your end.

ESPN have had 3 live events.. one event ads cut in after every round.. seen no repays.. missed a submission..
    they fixed this..

then they advertised TUF new season after UFC fight night which was actually jus a re-run of season 9.. Set a reminder.. stayed in.. well pissed..

then UFC 103.. first 20mins in spanish.. then jumped like crazy for another 20mins.. missed another good part of a fight becase the screen cut off due to no signal being received.. I called about it and it was an issue with the broadcaster not my signal..

will we cross our fingers and toes and hope that if we pay more cash and more cash everything will be ok???

• Advertisement

then UFC 103.. first 20mins in spanish.. then jumped like crazy for another 20mins.. missed another good part of a fight becase the screen cut off due to no signal being received.. I called about it and it was an issue with the broadcaster not my signal..

All of this had nothing to do with ESPN. How can it be an issue with the broadcaster if I and many others had no signal loss and no jumping picture. You are also aware that viewers on Spike TV got the Spanish audio too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Why not just get ESPN for the live events and learn how to work torrents for the TUF episodes?? Means no grainy "online" copies but proper recorded TV show which will be available on a Thurs morning/afternoon after it airs on Wed night in US. Apparently easy to work but of course I wouldn't know personally ;)

wandy wrote: »
    Means no grainy "online" copies but proper recorded TV show which will be available on a Thurs morning/afternoon after it airs on Wed night in US.

In HD too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It is worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

So let me get all this straight....

You want to see all UFC programming as cheaply as possible.
    You want just one channel to carry PPV's and TUF.
    You think ESPN was at fault for the recent Spanish commentary and the picture loss that you experienced.
    You don't want to watch TUF on Youtube cause you dont like the picture quality and you want to watch it on your tv.

I'm gonna give you one way to solve all your problems. Download PPV's and TUF episodes the morning after. Now buy yourself a DIVX/DVD player (€100) and a usb key (€20).

There you go. For a one off payment of €120 you have UFC programming for a good few years.

I'm sure you'll find problems with that suggestion so the alternative is to stop whinging and pay the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ESPN have had 3 live events.. one event ads cut in after every round.. seen no repays.. missed a submission..
    they fixed this..

then they advertised TUF new season after UFC fight night which was actually jus a re-run of season 9.. Set a reminder.. stayed in.. well pissed..

will we cross our fingers and toes and hope that if we pay more cash and more cash everything will be ok???

seriously, is moaning and complaining about stuff all you are able to do. ffs so depressing reading your posts

GSPfan wrote: »
    So let me get all this straight....

You want to see all UFC programming as cheaply as possible.
    You want just one channel to carry PPV's and TUF.
    You think ESPN was at fault for the recent Spanish commentary and the picture loss that you experienced.
    You don't want to watch TUF on Youtube cause you dont like the picture quality and you want to watch it on your tv.

I'm gonna give you one way to solve all your problems. Download PPV's and TUF episodes the morning after. Now buy yourself a DIVX/DVD player (€100) and a usb key (€20).

There you go. For a one off payment of €120 you have UFC programming for a good few years.

I'm sure you'll find problems with that suggestion so the alternative is to stop whinging and pay the money.

you would think this would be common knowledge in this day but
    if people are watching mma on youtube then i guess its not

to add to this you can watch tuf on a thursday when otherwise
    you would have to wait for sunday nite

make sure you buy a divx player with a usb port and youre laughing then

there is a good mma site also that has all the fights and the quality is good
    not sure if i can post it here but here goes
    www.fights4all.com
    i watched all the fight night prelims here on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Ok in the US they have PPV for live fights.. (the UFC get a direct portion of PPV sales).. They pay about $12-15 for a fight..

It's $45 for a UFC PPV in America

callaway92 wrote: »
    seriously, is moaning and complaining about stuff all you are able to do. ffs so depressing reading your posts

Callaway.. :mad:

Dont be so nasty

Callaway.. :mad:

Dont be so nasty

He has a point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement