Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a rant about tipping

Options
  • 20-09-2009 11:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

Found out today that the waiting staff in thunderoad cafe/restaurant in dublin get to keep their cash tips (yay)...BUT...they don't get to keep the service charge. So for your table of 6 or more, when you pay the service charge it doesn't go to your hardworking waiter/waitress. I also found out that the service charge is actually optional, you don't have to pay it...so if i ever go there again i will refuse to pay the service charge and tip the waiter/waitress in cash instead.

It really makes me mad when I hear about restaurants that take the tips from the waiting staff. The tip is for the server, and the server only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

if I pay the stated price, why should I feel like I have to tip aswell? Thats like seeing an item advertised for €100 and me offering the seller €110. I never tip in restaurants. Maybe taxi drivers when its late night but other than that, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We're not in the States. I'm sure they get paid enough without tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, I actually thought this was going to be about cow tipping, best change my intelligence in that poll to "below average" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think the anti-tippers are missing the point.

If you agree with tipping, the restaurant are taking extra money from you: ostensibly to give to the staff, whereas in reality they are pocketing it.

Even f you don't agree with tipping: you are apparently being led to believe that a service charge is mandatory and are effectively paying more for your meal than is advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

does the optional service charge thing apply to all restaurants?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Jenna

Max Power1 wrote: »
    if I pay the stated price, why should I feel like I have to tip aswell?

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay more than the stated price but the truth is waiting staff rely on their tips, not their wages. I used to never tip in restaurants until I became a waitress myself and then my entire perspective changed. I realised how important tips were! So what I do now is if the service is nothing special then I don't tip, if the waitress/waiter looks after you, is fast, attentive etc then I leave 10 per cent. I leave higher tips if the service is exceptional. If you can appreciate good service then you should tip. That's what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Service charge isn't optional and is usually charged on tables of 6 or more, although this number can vary

Regarding the OP's post, think that fúcking terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Jenna wrote: »
    I agree that you shouldn't have to pay more than the stated price but the truth is waiting staff rely on their tips, not their wages. I used to never tip in restaurants until I became a waitress myself and then my entire perspective changed. I realised how important tips were! So what I do now is if the service is nothing special then I don't tip, if the waitress/waiter looks after you, is fast, attentive etc then I leave 10 per cent. I leave higher tips if the service is exceptional. If you can appreciate good service then you should tip. That's what I think.

Hang on i presume they are getting at least the minimum wage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I never tipped until i worked in a bar and seen how tight some people can be with their change. What is it about irish people never tipping? I will always leave a tip unless the waiter/ress has taken a shít on my meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

if I pay the stated price, why should I feel like I have to tip aswell? Thats like seeing an item advertised for €100 and me offering the seller €110. I never tip in restaurants. Maybe taxi drivers when its late night but other than that, not so much

I think you've missed the point entirely here:rolleyes:

The OP is not giving out about tipping, thats not the point of this thread.

OP I have heard that that goes on in quite a few restaurants. I used to be a waitress, and after 4 years of doing the job, when asked for a raise I was told no, and my boss explained

1. That I was lucky I was even getting the minimum wage, as because I get tips as part of my job he's under no obligation to pay me min. wage. Now I haven't looked into it, but I'm sure thats bollox, although I fell for it at the time, and actually left his office feeling lucky!!

2. That I was lucky that I got my tips, cause in some restaurants they get NONE of their tips, even the cash ones!!:eek::eek:

If people don't want to leave tips, then don't. Don't pay it and come on here moaning, thats sad. But to the OP, I think waitresses in most places also have to pay tax on credit card/laser tips as these have to come from the till, so if you are giving tips, you should always try give cash!!

But have to admit myself, even being a former waitress, going out to a pub is a luxury now, never mind a restaurant, and I have had to cut my tipping!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

peanuthead wrote: »
    I think you've missed the point entirely here:rolleyes:

The OP is not giving out about tipping, thats not the point of this thread.

Yup.

I wish Clioud had a bang-head-off-wall smiley. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Jenna

Some places pay minimum and others pay less than minimum... of all the jobs I've had waitressing was the most physically and believe or not, emotionally, demanding...maybe its just coz I worked in a crazy busy understaffed restaurant...I wouldn't have done it if I was only on minimum wage though...i did it for the tips.

Melion wrote: »
    I never tipped until i worked in a bar and seen how tight some people can be with their change. What is it about irish people never tipping? I will always leave a tip unless the waiter/ress has taken a shít on my meal.

Having been a waitress myself I don't like the attitude of 'what is it about Irish people never tipping' Tipping is not really part of our culture, and even if it was, people have a right not to tip, just like people have a right to do anything else.

Also, you don't know people's financial situations. I used to work in a hotel where families came from the country to watch the big matches.

So you have a family of, say 5 coming from, say Cork.
    Driving up.
    Staying in the hotel for 1 night minumum, but more than likely 2.
    2 rooms.
    A total of 10 breakfasts
    10 lunches
    10 dinners
    taxi/bus to the match
    taxi/bus back
    tickets to the match

And thats only the basics, and you expect them to pencil in your tip to the list??

As much as I hate to hear people moaning about having to tip, I really hate to hear people give out about people who don't.

I work harder (albeit a different kind of 'hard') in my teaching job than I ever did as a waitress, and no-ones tipping me for that!! In fact I'm tipping the government, and I can't get out of that 'service charge' :rolleyes:

Some places pay minimum and others pay less than minimum... of all the jobs I've had waitressing was the most physically and believe or not, emotionally, demanding...maybe its just coz I worked in a crazy busy understaffed restaurant...I wouldn't have done it if I was only on minimum wage though...i did it for the tips.

Me too. the job I'm in now, teaching, I find it just as hard, but in a completely different way. Waitressing had me in pain!!
    Also, I can deal with rude children as they know no better, but rude adults, that drove me up the wall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

All the dissapointed farmers leaving this thread as they thought it was about cow tipping:(

A service charge is optional in the sense that if you have the balls to go up to the manager and demand it comes off your bill, off it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Some punks TPed my house last week.

Damn punks.

I know how you feel OP (although I didn't bother read your post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

All the dissapointed farmers leaving this thread as they thought it was about cow tipping:(

Farmers know cow tipping isn't real.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What bothers me though is that when (coach) tour groups (which makes up for most of the customers) dine at the hotel I work in the tour guides tell them not to tip us as the service charge is included. And it isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Anonomyte

If the waitress is hot then sure fire her a smack on the behind for good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Even in the states I find tipping a pain in the arse. Can they not just pay these people more so I dont have to rack my brains trying to figure out 15% of the bill and wondering if they deserve it. I do give tips here, but only in restaurants, and only if I have had more than one course. Im a tightarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I don't care. It's not often that I can genuinely, honestly, with 100% conviction and certainty say that.

(This is one of those times)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Compulsory service charges are not legal unless it's quoted on the menu. If there is a "special menu" such as an early bird and the price is posted on a board outside, unless the service charge is quoted on the board you don't have to pay it, legally...

Quote/
    Compulsory service charges are not illegal, providing it states on the menu that a service charge of 'x' amount will be added to the bill. If no information about the service charge appears on the menu or elsewhere in the restaurant then only a discretionary payment, such as a tip, can be expected.

If a customer is unhappy with any aspect of a meal, including the service charge, then they have a right to challenge the amount they're being asked to pay, in the same way they would for any other service under the Goods and Services Act 1982. If the issue can't be resolved there and then, a customer can pay what they believe to be reasonable, leave their name and address and, if it should go that far, the restaurant can choose to sue them for the remainder.

/end Quote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Good man on tipping the taxi drivers :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

as an aside; would it be customary to tip the guy in the petrol station who fills your car full of gas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Most restaurant dont distribute the takings from service charges to staff. In fact its a bit of a myth that they do. I always ask the waiter when Im in a restaurant if the service charge is distributing among staff.

If it is, i dont usually tip extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I work hard, do a good job, accept a wage that I've agreed with. I do not receive any tips nor do I expect any. I do not work in a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

Melion wrote: »
    What is it about irish people never tipping?

You expect the customer to pay you more on top of your wages becuase you do your job? Would you tip the staff in McDonalds? Probably not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

faceman wrote: »
    Most restaurant dont distribute the takings from service charges to staff. In fact its a bit of a myth that they do. I always ask the waiter when Im in a restaurant if the service charge is distributing among staff.

If it is, i dont usually tip extra.
    Ive never seen the tips being shared in restaurants. I worked in Elephant & castle at night for about a year and the waiters there went mad if they made less that €100 per night tips. Afair, all tips were pooled and distributed. There used to be waar because the chefs were hammerred during service with it being so busy and waiters roaring for for faster and faster and coming in to the kitchen and firing crockery at the KPs plate hold area. One waiter used to give the KP a tenner of his tips every night which was decent of him but everyone else got nothing and were treated like crap. It was an on-going war situation.

But, yah - minumum wage + €100 - €140 every night. Not bad at all. Service charge also went to wait staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Also tips via Creadit Card are taxed, but that's if they get any of it in the first place.

Tipping and Service charge is optional .

Advertisement