Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gloves for sparring/training?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi guys I was wondering what type and weight of gloves you would recommend for sparring and training. Got a cheap pair of lonsdale 6oz gloves at minute but have rarely used them. My mate is offering me a pair of 16oz twins that he isnt using. Anyone use 16oz gloves or even have a pair of twins that can recommend how they feel on hands as my main concern is they will be pretty heavy compared to the 6oz i got at min? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Twins 16oz are great IMO.They are heavy of course but you cant use 6oz for sparring(I never even heard of 6oz boxing gloves for competing).I dont think you should think twice about taking the Twins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Twins 16oz are great IMO. I dont think you should think twice about taking the Twins.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. Had already told my mate I would take the gloves off him but wanted some opinions just to clear any doubts i had.
    you cant use 6oz for sparring(I never even heard of 6oz boxing gloves for competing).

Yea I have never used them for sparring, only pad work and that

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Both are good for sparring. I use 4 oz Caged Steel gloves for sparring, though I should really have a pair of thicker MMA sparring gloves. I HATE sparring with boxing gloves, but I'll do it if I have to. The smaller gloves are good for light sparring, when you're working on technique, speed and accuracy. Sure you'll get, and give, a few knocks but that's part of the game. They're also good for forcing you to protect your head properly. Heavy Boxing gloves are really good for when you want to put more power into sparring, however, if you sparring too often with them you risk your head defense becoming reliant on the size and thickness of the glove rather than actual defense technique. Of course, I'm assuming you train in MMA, if you're not then the big gloves are fine. IMO, anyone who trains in MMA should be doing most of their sparring with MMA gloves, not Boxing gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

You can't go wrong with twins to be honest. 12 or 14 would probably do but 16 oz are fine too. If you are doing MMA you should get MMA sparring gloves too, and make sure whoever you train with is using them too. The Twins ones are pretty good, my personal favourites would be the Sandee ones though. Regular MMA gloves are pretty much useless for anything above low-intensity training really.
    IMO, anyone who trains in MMA should be doing most of their sparring with MMA gloves, not Boxing gloves.
    Depends what you mean by most really.

IMO, anyone who trains in MMA should be doing most of their sparring with MMA gloves, not Boxing gloves.

Cant hurt to have a proper pair of boxing gloves for heavy sparring and a pair of mma sparing gloves for pad work and light sparring too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

For striking training 14/16oz should be a minimum to be honest. Paul McCloskey was saying they use 22oz gloves at times which is massive.

It's all about longevity. In training you need to protect yourself and your partner. We would not let ppl spar with 6oz boxing gloves at out club. Use them on the bag would be my advice

The sandee sparring glove is great for MMA sparring. The padding on it is supposed to equate to a 16oz boxing glove. The pro gloves just cut you up far too much.

Jason Mc wrote: »
    For striking training 14/16oz should be a minimum to be honest. We would not let ppl spar with 6oz boxing gloves at out club. Use them on the bag would be my advice.

Yea like i said ive only used the 6oz for padwork really, so want a pair of gloves i can use for sparring, bagwork and padwork.
    The pro gloves just cut you up far too much.

Agree with that. Remember at my first bag session I used a pair of cheap pro gloves i got off ebay. Knuckles were wrecked after it haha

i mean when u are sparring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Ive 2 pairs of twins 10oz and 14oz, great gloves

you have 4 pairs of gloves?

• Advertisement

you have 4 pairs of gloves?

Who? Ive 5 pairs i think, 10oz and 14oz twins, 2 pairs of 4oz and a pair of fingerless padded grappling/sparring jobbies that are equivalent to 10oz i think. Have 4oz hayabusa mma ones and must say they are the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

I use these.

They're 4oz.
    Tones69 wrote: »
    Have 4oz hayabusa mma ones and must say they are the job

Really good quality and fit imo. I hate boxing gloves, really feel weird to me :P

104494431 wrote: »
    I use these.

They're 4oz.

Really good quality and fit imo. I hate boxing gloves, really feel weird to me :P

Yep good gloves those, love mine, sure ya cant be goin flatout sparring with 4oz gloves, be some serious doc bills ha

Advertisement