Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geography question-tectonics

Options
  • 20-09-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

what would you rite for that question about how study of plate tectonics help us undertstand distribution of volcanos and earthquakes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Do your own homework!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

dubois90 wrote: »
    what would you rite for that question about how study of plate tectonics help us undertstand distribution of volcanos and earthquakes

Basically...

Volcanoes occur at (convergent?) plate boundaries (when two plates are pulling apart) and earthquakes when two plates are colliding (divergent). Understanding plate tectonics means you understand this piece of information (along with the whole how plates move, convection currents in the magma, convergent and divergent plate boundaries ect ect). Now when you look at that on a world map you see that volcanoes and earthquakes occur and originate at the edge of plate boundaries (reference the pacific ring of fire) with the exception of hot spots (blowtorch, characterized as a trail of dormant volcanoes with one active volcano) (adding that piece of info will change a B2 to a B1) and use the volcanoes in Hawaii as an example of this.

This question is an important one and very very often comes up in lc papers so writing a good answer you can learn off will be valuble.

(Sorry if any of that is slightly wrong, I just did my lc so this is from memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

TBH I didnt study plate tectonics at all and got an A1 following the advice of my teacher who is fairly high up in the marking team as students score quite badly for the most part on this question. There is so many ways this question could be asked and if you dont give the srps they are looking for then you will get a low mark.

My teacher always remined our class that there is no point covering everything as you have to answer only 1 out of 3 questions in physical geography.

My advice would be that if you know landform of both deposition/ erosion, human interaction with one of the physical processes eg dams etc. , limestone landscape and feature of limestone both surface and sub surface you will get a guaranteed question, almost 90% for sure!

Advertisement