Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal sites in Limerick City/County

Options
  • 20-09-2009 6:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've been reading this forum casually for a while now but haven't had the chance to get properly involved before.

Anyway, a friend of mine in America has just contacted me about the idea of doing a short film. (I've been recording a series of improvised conversations over the past nine months.) As he is unable to visit Ireland himself, he's requested that I do a short investigation of a paranormal site in my locality. I reckoned this would be the best place to ask for suggestions :)

Is anyone willing to share locations, ideally in Limerick but including County Clare if necessary, for a beginner to check out? I'm usually pretty sceptical about the paranormal, but this sounds like a great opportunity to visit interesting places and learn a bit of local history.

I'd be hoping to do this some time in the next two weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any suggestions at all?

I've heard mention of Curraghchase on this forum before, but would be interested in seeing other possible sites as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Well, unless you want to go to the Burren, I don't know. There's a load of haunted locations. Ask some older people in your area. If you live rurally, there's bound to be a few

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

H1tmonlii wrote: »
    Well, unless you want to go to the Burren, I don't know. There's a load of haunted locations. Ask some older people in your area. If you live rurally, there's bound to be a few

I'm living in a suburb on the edge of the city. The area is barely 40 years old, so there's very little history to it.

I wouldn't mind driving to the Burren, it's less than an hour away so that's as easy as getting to Curraghchase. Which locations would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Strange Woman
    Type: Haunting Manifestation
    Date / Time: Unknown
    Further Comments: The shadowy figure of an unknown woman stands around the castle entrance, as if in waiting.

Spanish Sailors
    Date / Time: Unknown
    Further Comments: The beach below the castle is haunted by the ghosts of Spanish sailors from a shipwrecked Armada ship. Those who did not drown were quickly put to death by Boetius Clancy, the Sheriff of Clare.

Red Mary
    Date / Time: Seventeenth century
    Further Comments: Mary O'Brien was said by many to be a witch, and tales are told of how frequently she hanged her servants if they made mistakes. Some say she was finally caught by her enemies and left to stave to death in a hollow tree. Regardless of how she died, her unearthly form still returns to her castle.

From paranormal.ie

You might want to check out Woodlawn House in Galway, if you want to drive THAT far.
    Also, check Abandoned Ireland for some locations. Not all of the locations in the Limerick section may be haunted but you should definitely ask around.

EDIT:
    Found one from Shannon:
    old Air
    Date / Time: Between April and November, 2005
    Further Comments: A couple who moved into the building experienced a constant coldness throughout the building, even with heating and a fire burning in the sitting room. After moving out a few months later they discovered that a previous tenant hanged himself in the building.

Advertisement