Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sickle Cell genetics

Options
  • 20-09-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me whether sickle cell disease is an example of incomplete dominance or co-dominance? i.e. in people with sickle cell trait, are the HbA and HbS genes equally expressed or is the HbS gene incompletely dominant to the HbA gene?
    I've read so many different things in books and the internet, no one seems to know for sure....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Edible wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me whether sickle cell disease is an example of incomplete dominance or co-dominance? i.e. in people with sickle cell trait, are the HbA and HbS genes equally expressed or is the HbS gene incompletely dominant to the HbA gene?
    I've read so many different things in books and the internet, no one seems to know for sure....

HbS is autosomal incomplete dominant....

In the areas where HbS is prevalent, the hetrozygous form is fitter than the both the homo forms as it gives immuntiy to malaria! If it was recessive it wouldn't be of any use or if it were dominant it would have died out, thats why its evolved to be incompletely dominant

Advertisement