Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Video Call Problem

Options
  • 20-09-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask so apologies if i'm wrong.

I have skype installed on my laptop and it was working fine until today but today when i made a video call i could only see a dark screen when i should be able to see the person i'm ringing. The call receiver can see and hear me but i can only hear them. At first i thought it might be a fault with their webcam so i rang someone else and had the same problem. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

deisedude wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum to ask so apologies if i'm wrong.

I have skype installed on my laptop and it was working fine until today but today when i made a video call i could only see a dark screen when i should be able to see the person i'm ringing. The call receiver can see and hear me but i can only hear them. At first i thought it might be a fault with their webcam so i rang someone else and had the same problem. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Are you sure they had the cam plugged in? I would perhaps uninstall/remove the cam and reinstall it...but thats only if the cam didnt work at all....you should try maybe just doing cam to cam on yahoo or msn or skype and see if the problem persists, if it does then u can pretty much narrow it down to that persons cam not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Are you sure they had the cam plugged in? I would perhaps uninstall/remove the cam and reinstall it...but thats only if the cam didnt work at all....you should try maybe just doing cam to cam on yahoo or msn or skype and see if the problem persists, if it does then u can pretty much narrow it down to that persons cam not working!

No the cam is ok. Once i make a call on skype now and then turn on video i can see the other person. The problem seems to be i can only see one side at a time. I can live with it now even if it is a little frustrating!:(
    Thanks for your help though:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

deisedude wrote: »
    No the cam is ok. Once i make a call on skype now and then turn on video i can see the other person. The problem seems to be i can only see one side at a time. I can live with it now even if it is a little frustrating!:(
    Thanks for your help though:cool:

Hi deisedude,

I was just doing a bit of research and I see that a few people have problems, but they solved them by rolling back to an older version of skype - version 4.0.0.226 as the newest version was having problems with cam recognition so inturn they failed...you can get the older version here, but remember to uninstall what you have on at the moment then install the older one from the link below...

Link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_skype/

Hopefully that might work for you now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hi deisedude,

I was just doing a bit of research and I see that a few people have problems, but they solved them by rolling back to an older version of skype - version 4.0.0.226 as the newest version was having problems with cam recognition so inturn they failed...you can get the older version here, but remember to uninstall what you have on at the moment then install the older one from the link below...

Link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_skype/

Hopefully that might work for you now :)

Thanks i'll try that out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi lads,
    Me wants to get my granny a new laptop with the primary reason being Skype usage. Am looking at this and this and both seem to have a VGA or 0.3 MP built in camera. Will this be good enough for Skype? I don't want to buy it and find out later it is not up to much.

I would rather have a better web cam and a lower processor and RAM etc. etc. as she will only be using it for Skype and light Web browsing.

Does anyone know what the max resolution of built in web cams are these days?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

For skype, you can have normal mode calls & high quality calls.

Most skype conversations are at 0.3 megapixel or lower - I think that Skype High Quality video mode is in fact 0.3 megapixel itself. To get skype high quality have a look at the bottom of this page: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/allfeatures/videocall/

and make sure that the laptop you get your granny has a dual core processor, and if there is any way to check what webcam it is built in, look out for a webcam from the HQ range

in my opinion, to get a good quality skype conversation depends alot on the low light capability of the camera - picture the scenario how most people use skype: in the evening, with a room light behind them, which naturally makes it difficult for a camera to see them. tackle the lighting issue, and make sure the camera has low light sensitivity and you're set.

What about one of these? http://www.skype.com/intl/en/allfeatures/videophones/

Advertisement