Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asking the question...Can I really Tri??

• 20-09-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Well here goes, my first entry on boards.ie. I have been reading alll the other logs and advice on here and finally thought it was time I signed up and posted :D

I have always wanted to run. I used to sprint in school (many moons ago) but that quickly diminished, I used to go the gym a lot about 3 years ago too, but since then nothing.

But the desire to run has always been there, i have just never got up of my a** and done something about it.

Fast forward to present day. I turned 30 this year and a couple of months ago I decided that now was the time to stop making excuses and get out there. I found out as much info as I could on running and training programs for those who hadn't run a proper day in their lives and off I went. Two weeks in and I got hit with a bad chest infection and so it all stopped (though I can honestly say I didnt get too far).

The time I couldn't train though gave me a chance to do more research and browse around the millions of artiucles and website online regarding running. I came across a small article on Triathlon....a sport I had heard of from vaguely watching Athletics on the telly, but that was about it. I have always enjoyed swimming and am quite good at it, I bought a bike last year with the intention of cycling places but it never happened.

So I researched a little more and was introduced to the HUGE amount of wonderful info about this sport, which I was soon to discover is totally addictive.

So here I am on Week 2 of a Triathlon Training plan and loving every minute of it. I have actually been training for 3 weeks but just walked/ran for the first week and that really is my weakest discipline. I added the swimming and cycling to my program at the beginning of this week and I am sticking ot the plan and doing well.

I hope to use this log to keep track of all my training and hopefully notice the progress.

My ultimate goal would be to be ready to do the North Tipp Tri next year, but I will hold off on goals right now till I see how I progress. I have 3 kids, am slightly overweight, have never trained properly for anything AND I am doing a Psychology degree so we will see how it all manages to fit in!!!

Week 2 starts tomorrow :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs, and good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Best of luck, you'll enjoy the journey! And the race! north tipp is a good race to start with!N

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Welcome to the logs, look forward to reading yours.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Ambitious planning considering you have your hands very full. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck Miss_Daisys. Its enjoyable at the start but can get tough in the middle of training but the feeling when you finish your first event is fantastic. After that its addictive! Enjoy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Way to go!

Once you are enjoying the whole experience, the lifestyle-juggling will be fine.
    I've 4 small kids and a job that has me out of the country on a weekly basis, but getting out for a swim/bike/run is a key part of keeping the show on the road...

All the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi! Starting a log is a great step for motivating yourself to get the training in for your first Tri. North Tipp is a nice event, well run and a pretty basic enough course that will reward any training you do over the winter. So, enjoy the journey and best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hi Miss_Daisys, best of luck with the training -- and well done on starting a log, its a great help to keep motivation up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Best of luck with the training Miss_Daisys! I'm novice training over-winter for next year's tri season too. It can be done! And it is very, very addictive... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Miss_Daisys

Monday 21st September

First of all can I just a huge thank you to everyone who has welcomed me and encouraged me. It is fabulous to get such a great response and it certainly helps keep me motivated!! :D

My training for today:

Morning: Walk/Run 2.3km 25 mins
    5 minute brisk walk walm up
    90 second run
    90 fast walk
    3 min run
    3 minute fast walk
    Repeated till reached 20 minutes

Good run today, found it quite tough towards the end as the 3 minute contant running is the most I have done for a long time, it will seem quite easy to a lot I imagine but it such an improvement for me who could hardly even run for 30 seconds before I started!

By the end of each walk section I felt ready to run again which is great for me and I am very pleased with it overall.

Afternoon: Swim 600m freestyle 20 minutes

Warm Up: Easy Pace 50m
    Main Section: 10 x 50m faster pace intervals with 1min rest for each
    Cool Down: Very Easy 50m

Great swim. I have been working on my stroke and breathing technique a lot and it really paid off today as I found the whole swim much easier. I have decided to stick to the 50m intervals for now till I perfect that before moving to 100's as my breathing still isn't 100% right, but certainly improving.

Bike and core training planned for tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 22nd September

Morning:

Great cycle this morning. Although I have to say I could of gone longer if it wasn't for the fact my stupid bike kept breaking down on me. The chain keeps coming off during gear changes on hills....its buggered and I need a new one, it is only a cheap mountain bike and I do want to get another one, but I wanted to make sure i stuck to this first before going the full way and paying out for a new one.

4 km in 18 minutes

I was pleased with that as it is only my 4th cycling session and before that I hadn't properly ridden a bike in about 15 years and couldn't even do 2 km on first session, so starting off well!!

The route I take is a great mix of hills and flats. It gives me a chance to really push myself on the up hills and recover on the down as well as building up speed and pace on the flats.

Afternoon:

Thanks to a very good Triathlete website that has plenty of articles on I found some core strengthening exercises.

3 set of 15 repitions of 3 of the different exercises.

I could really feel them working on my core muscles and realised how bad they really are!! Think I will definitely have to incorparate more core work into my regime!!

Sorry this is late...

Wednesday 23rd September

Morning: 2.3km walk/run - 25 mins

90sec jog
    90 sec Walk
    3 min jog
    3 min run

repeated up to 25 mins

Afternoon: Swim 600m

Warm Up: Easy 50m
    Main Section: 10 x 50m with 1 min rest in between
    Cool Down: Very Easy 50m

I have had a few days off training as I am starting my Psychology degree and my course materials all arrived so I have had a few days getting organised and stuck into that....though exercising is far less stressful that studying!!! Back to training Monday morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Miss Daisy,

Your log popped into my head when out for a run this morning so I thought I'd check in with you. How's it going? Doing any walking or running in that hectic lifestyle of yours? Drop us a few lines when you get a chance.:)

Red

Advertisement