Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor gas combi boiler

Options
  • 20-09-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to replace our current oil boiler (Which is in a shed outside) with a gas Combi boiler (also In the shed). Then remove the hot water cylinder in the hot press to make some more space. Also if the system was pressurised (with the pump in the shed too) could I get rid of the cold water tank (which is actually on the roof) ?

The house has 2 bathrooms (2 mixer showers 2 baths) in the future we may put in an en-suite shower also. Would a combi be able to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A Vokera Rain Boiler is a suitable replacement if its to be installed in a damp location, if its dry, an indoor boiler would do,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

aujopimur wrote: »
    A Vokera Rain Boiler is a suitable replacement if its to be installed in a damp location, if its dry, an indoor boiler would do,

Its dry, but its a simple boiler shed built for the oil boiler. I am guessing it would be a bit damp/cold. Not sure if gas boilers would be built to cope with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A Rain Boiler does not require a shed as it can be located outside, hence the name Rain Boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

i am in a simaler position, and i was told that you cant get
    a gas condensing boiler that can be put in an exterior boiler
    house because of frost.

does anyone know if there is any option available
    does the rain boiler come in a condensing version?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OP, we have the exact system you described in my family home have had it for about 20 years! if the mains pressure isnt enough, you will need a pump, our mains pressure is more than adequate and all that we have is the condensing boiler. No tanks, or any of the ancillary sh*t! The system is so straight forward and efficient! the boiler only turns on when its needed, and there is instant, unlimited hot water for rads and taps! Any other system is archaic and wasteful! Regarding not being able to put it in the shed, if there is actually a problem with locating it there due to frost, can you insulate the shed in relevant areas? I thought new boilers had anti forst protection! I would get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Regarding not being able to put it in the shed, if there is actually a problem with locating it there due to frost, can you insulate the shed in relevant areas? I thought new boilers had anti forst protection! I would get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on it!

i thought by haveing the boiler house fully insulated it would be
    sufficent, ill have to check around and see.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OP how far is the house from the shed? you are entitled to grants to complete the upgrade... There new gar condensing boilers are unbelievable efficient! probably atleast 30-50% more so than the current oil one you have!

Advertisement