Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level Irish?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm at higher level Irish at the moment, but I think it's safe to say I'm struggling, so I'm considering dropping to ordinary level.
    I just hate Irish so much, I always dread doing the work for it, and I don't have a flair for it at all like I do most of my other subjects.

So I'm already doing ordinary level maths, but if I drop to ordinary level Irish I'll still have 6 honours subjects [because I have 8 subjects in total.]
    Problem is, I'm aiming for 530 points and I don't know if it's risky?
    Although I know for sure I won't get above a C in higher level Irish anyway so I probably won't up counting the points from higher level Irish or ordinary level maths.

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I dropped to OL Irish for pretty much the same reasons, doing OL maths too and 8 subjects total but aiming for ~400 :)

Try using Qualifax's Points Calculator and put in what you think you'll get/what you think your capable of and see how much points you get. Should be some help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If you're already doing six honours then it makes sense to drop to pass on extra subjects your struggling with; it'll free up more time for you to work on the subjects you'll be counting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 I.love.it.

I was in a similar position last year except it was about maths for me.
    I moved from higher to ordinary level during sixth year and I had only 6 honours subjects left..which can be risky but at the same time, i knew my result in maths would be lower than the others and i would not be counting it anyway.

I was glad in the end because it gave me more time to concentrate on my main 6 subjects. I didn't see the point in putting hours of work into a subject i knew i wouldn't count for points. Also i had no fear of failing the ordinary paper and it took off a lot off pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Annel349

Lawliet wrote: »
    If you're already doing six honours then it makes sense to drop to pass on extra subjects your struggling with; it'll free up more time for you to work on the subjects you'll be counting.

exactly... i know im only in fifth year but we do seven subjects and i moved up to honours irish this year as i did pass for junior cert leaving me with six honours out of seven.....but as long as your confident enough with 6 honours it would make it easier to do pass irish and pay more attention to the honours!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Where exaclty are you struggling? I maybe able to help. Im an Irish teacher and I know myself the stress and strain that exams put on students...Irish I know isn plain sailing for alot of people but if you tell me where your falling behind I can assist... Each yr for the last 5 not one of my students have gotten less than a C1 and thats in a variety of schools and grind schools.

If any of ye have questions feel free to pm me at any time...

Dont resort to dropping yet...let me know exactly whats going on and il do my best.Its only hard if you get a grudge against the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paperheart

justsayit wrote: »
    I'm at higher level Irish at the moment, but I think it's safe to say I'm struggling, so I'm considering dropping to ordinary level.
    I just hate Irish so much, I always dread doing the work for it, and I don't have a flair for it at all like I do most of my other subjects.

So I'm already doing ordinary level maths, but if I drop to ordinary level Irish I'll still have 6 honours subjects [because I have 8 subjects in total.]
    Problem is, I'm aiming for 530 points and I don't know if it's risky?
    Although I know for sure I won't get above a C in higher level Irish anyway so I probably won't up counting the points from higher level Irish or ordinary level maths.

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance.

I was in the exact same situation last year, I dropped to Ordinary level Maths and Irish because i was finding them quite difficult and i was risking failing them in the leaving certificate.
    In your situation i would reccommend doing Ordinary level Irish, it will take a lot of strain from studying for the rest of the year so you can focus on other subjects. It's very simple to do well in Ordinary level Irish, provided you do your bit of studying.:D
    Good luck (:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm thinking of dropping to pass in Irish too, but i do all other in higher.
    If you really are struggling and think you won't do well then drop, you're the only one who knows hows much work you have to do.

Look at the pass papers and see what you think of them. I thought they were quite easy compared to ther higher and don't want to drop at the moment incase i think i'll get an A and always wonder if i could have done better in honours.

Best of luck what ever you do : )

• Registered Users Posts: 27 justsayit

lasair wrote: »
    Where exaclty are you struggling? I maybe able to help. Im an Irish teacher and I know myself the stress and strain that exams put on students...Irish I know isn plain sailing for alot of people but if you tell me where your falling behind I can assist... Each yr for the last 5 not one of my students have gotten less than a C1 and thats in a variety of schools and grind schools.

If any of ye have questions feel free to pm me at any time...

Dont resort to dropping yet...let me know exactly whats going on and il do my best.Its only hard if you get a grudge against the subject.

I'm not really struggling in any particular area, I'm just finding that I'm putting more time than I can afford into Irish really I suppose, and still coming out with Cs. I only started Irish in 4th class in primary school so I missed a few basics etc.
    I really don't enjoy the subject and I don't need the points from it so I think ordinary level may be the right option..
    Thanks though!

Advertisement