Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat recovery...

Options
  • 20-09-2009 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just looking in to heat recovery, i have had a few quotes back (very high!!) just wondering if anyone can recommend a system / supplier ? . a few have included 2 units in their quotes!!

Comments

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

hey dolanbaker,

I too am considering heat recovery.. .can you pm me also please

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheMammy

Could you PM me too...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 trevboy

hi me to please.

Many thanks

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I have been searching for 12 months now and by far the best deals out there at the moment are at builders merchants.

I have just gone with a system from Brooks that cost for everything I need for 2500sq ft home €3300. This includes two steel manifold's (normal systems start with a big fat pipe that gets smaller to maintain peven pressure), silencer and all semi rigid ducting. Now this does not include fitting but I have quotes in the region of €800 but I will probably end up fitting this myself. This is much better than the €7k+ I have been getting quotes back from.

Price includes two site visits to test the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Leadership wrote: »
    I have been searching for 12 months now and by far the best deals out there at the moment are at builders merchants.

I have just gone with a system from Brooks that cost for everything I need for 2500sq ft home €3300. This includes two steel manifold's (normal systems start with a big fat pipe that gets smaller to maintain peven pressure), silencer and all semi rigid ducting. Now this does not include fitting but I have quotes in the region of €800 but I will probably end up fitting this myself. This is much better than the €7k+ I have been getting quotes back from.

Price includes two site visits to test the unit.

Very interesting.Looks like there is quite a profit to be made in HRV. Could you please post the make of the HRV unit that Brooks sell.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

They sell <snip>

Edit: Please dont post the makers name, PM it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Leadership wrote: »
    They sell <snip>

Edit: Please dont post the makers name, PM it instead.

sorry for asking for a post reply.can you please pm the details to me.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

i might be a bit think here, but even if a HRV saves money with regards to heating, will it not increase your electricity bill to run it? I was thinking of getting something like this for my house but not sure if its worth the cost?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LowOdour wrote: »
    i might be a bit think here, but even if a HRV saves money with regards to heating, will it not increase your electricity bill to run it? I was thinking of getting something like this for my house but not sure if its worth the cost?

only get HRV if:

1. you are building well in excess of minimum requirements
    2. you carry out an air tightness test and get a q50 value of better than 6 imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Syd,

Are you saying that there is enough 'natural' ventilation in the house of you have a value of greater than 6 and that there is not a requirement for HRV?

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Syd,

Are you saying that there is enough 'natural' ventilation in the house of you have a value of greater than 6 and that there is not a requirement for HRV?

Mike.

no. There is still a legislative requirement for engineered ventilation.

The air tightness test measures air infiltration that is not deliberate.

In my opinion an air tightness test result of greater than 6 means that a significant amount of the heated internal air will escape to the outside by means of air leakage. This in turns renders the HRV ineffective.

If there is no air leakage, the HRV system can work to its full efficiency ... but if a room is leaking half its air to the external then the HRV system cannot work to its full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Leadership

Could you pm this please.

Thanks.

Lightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭A country home

agree with syd, and most importantly, if you open windows like me and my mrs, then its a waste. . .

its like air con in a car, some like it, i for one cant avoid putting the window down at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Hi guys,

Could ye PM me some HRV supplier.

Thanks.

Fuchia

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭doctorjohn

Guys , thanks for this ,
    can you pm me also the details of the HRV suppliers
    thanks
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

LowOdour wrote: »

My system for a 2,200 sq ft house uses 37 watts at its usual low setting. Round this up to 40 watts to allow for the couple of times a day it might be on boost when showering or cooking. That's 40 watts x 24 hours x 365 days = 350 kWh annually,or about €50 if you've moved to Airtricity or Bord Gais. I'm confident I'll save multiples of this.

An important point is that there's a lot more to it than just energy efficiency. It adds considerably to the comfort of the house. You get a far more consistent ventilation than with the traditional holes in the wall which either give you no fresh air in calm weather, or freeze you with drafts when it's windy. Condensation disappears and there are no lingering smells from cooking, etc. - which may be important to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 donal1981

Hi Folks
    Could you please pm me the HRV details?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Mods
    Any chance this can be moved to Prices/Costs sub section so we can start naming and comparing products/prices? Or we might start a new thread there?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

OK.

• Advertisement

Thanks Muffler

I've only had one quote so far - still at the early stage with this :).
    House is 3100 Sq ft.
    Supplier recommended that I install 2 units and cost for supply and install was €5750.
    The unit(s) is a ITHO HRU ECO 4 unit - has anyone any experience of this unit ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Two HRU 4 units sounds like an overkill for your size of house, two HRU eco 3 units should be more than enough.

I am looking at options and buying and fitting myself looks very cheap compared to supply and install prices.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 28 donal1981

So now that this thread is in the "prices" section, who would people recommend & at what price

I am looking for a 3500 sq ft self build.
    I am interested in supply & fit prices & prices of getting materials myself.
    Thank you in advance for you help.

Just to update .. I checked the quote I got and it was just for 2 ITHO units and did not specify the model. Sorry if I mislead anyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

I also have a confession to make, the Itho HRU unit is indeed the Itho HRU 4, checking Itho's website shows that there is no Itho HRU 3, my mistake.

So the idea of using two Itho HRU 4 units seems fine for a 350m2 house, it is just a bit big for one unit, although some units pump a lot more air so it should be possible to use one bigger unit from an alternative supplier.

The advantage of two units is probably less pipework if the location of the two units is selected carefully, the ability to keep the main living areas at a different temperature/ ventilation rate to the sleeping areas (if the house design allows this), but two units have two filters and two motors so will probably have a bit more maintenance and use more power.

All of this is based on my research on internet forums so should be just taken as an opinion!

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Folks, call up your nearest HeatMerchants store. they had an offer recently on HRV pumps plus piping. Your plumber should be able to install it all for you.
    They are trivial enough in how they work...nothing complicated about them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭selfbuildache

Just to add my 'research' to this:
    All units I'm quoting score pretty highly on the SAP Appendix Q
    House is 2000sq.ft.

Vort Prometeo HR400 - €3815. Supply only.
    xcell 301 - €3999. Supply only.
    Itho / HRU Eco - €4767. Supply+Install.

But now I'm thinking I need to get on the the hardwares!

If it helps, I got some great advice about how to choose a HRV system on a previous posting http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62351289#post62351289
    (Thanks again to Sinnerboy, Sydthebeat+Gyman2k:))

Advertisement