Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Luggage Weight Discrepancy

Options
  • 20-09-2009 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I was flying with Aer Lingus a few weeks ago to LHR and then connecting with Singapore Airlines to Kuala Lumpur. My flights were not on the same ticket so I had to collect my luggage and re check it in again in Heathrow.

When I checked my luggage in in Dublin Airport, Aer Lingus showed its weight at 16.5kg while 3 hours later it only weighed 12.5kg on the Singapore Airlines weighing scales. Nothing was removed from the bag, and I'd say Singapore Airlines 12.5kg was a lot closer to the mark than Aer Lingus's 16.5kg.

Aer Lingus allows you 20kg before you have to start paying additional weight charges. If I had of been 15kg on the Singapore Airlines scales I presume Aer Lingus would of been looking for extra charges from me.

4kg is a huge difference considering I was light enough to begin with. Anybody else have experiences like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

All the airlines and the airport authorities will claim that their baggage belts are calibrated by their technicians so if you ever tried to approach them on it they would only refer you to the airport authority.

I usually weigh my baggage at home and bring the scales with me for my return journey and when I arrive at the airport I use an empty luggage scales to check its weight just to check for sure.

I have never experienced a major discrepancy although we are usually pleasantly surprised our bags weigh so little when arriving at the airport.

We flew Aer Lingus - Singapore Airlines a few months back and had one ticket so had to ignore the baggage belts in Heathrow. It was a joy!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

Berty wrote: »
    We flew Aer Lingus - Singapore Airlines a few months back and had one ticket so had to ignore the baggage belts in Heathrow. It was a joy!! :D

I got Singapore Airlines to check my luggage through to Dublin on Saturday Morning, but we have yet to be reunited with our bags (1 was returned last night and 1 is still missing).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

notnem wrote: »
    I got Singapore Airlines to check my luggage through to Dublin on Saturday Morning, but we have yet to be reunited with our bags (1 was returned last night and 1 is still missing).

I flew Singapore Airlines through Amsterdam into Cork one bag lighter but then again Amsterdam is world renowned for losing baggage so I just laughed when I was told in Cork. It arrived the next day.

Isn't it funny how one bag loaded onto the plane at the same time can arrive but the other does not. :confused:

Advertisement