Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Question

Options
  • 19-09-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey everyone! Im taking up chemistry this year as a repeat LC, and I was wondering what would be the possibility of me getting an A in it after doing it in 1 year? I know this is very ambitious, especially for a science subject like this. I only really need it just to get the HLC3 requirement for medicine, but Im kind of looking at it now as a possibility for points. If I were to use it as points I would need an A2 minimum. I already have 6 other HL subjects, but I would like to know if this might me possible. Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

It's a difficult subject. I got an A1 in it having failed it all throughout 5th year. Reason; I did the past exam papers, all of them and then some. I worked my ass off, learned off by heart, strove to understand everything. I'm guessing it'd take anyone else roughly the same amount of effort.

My old chemistry teacher said, and I know a lot who agree with her, that it takes a while for chemistry to come together, to link up all the logic behind it as it is rather complex. But after a while it all makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

It's a difficult subject. I got an A1 in it having failed it all throughout 5th year. Reason; I did the past exam papers, all of them and then some. I worked my ass off, learned off by heart, strove to understand everything. I'm guessing it'd take anyone else roughly the same amount of effort.

My old chemistry teacher said, and I know a lot who agree with her, that it takes a while for chemistry to come together, to link up all the logic behind it as it is rather complex. But after a while it all makes sense.

Yeah I know, it does seem to be a very tricky subject.:( Im attending the 6 yr classes of course, and some of the 5th year classes, so if I know the experiments really well then thats a lot of the course covered. Organic chemistry comes up every year, so if I know that well too then thats another question covered. Will practising the exam papers be helpful? Like, do the same basic questions come up from year to year? Could you give me some examples, like organic chemistry as I mentioned earlier? What are the basics I should know REALLY well?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Chemistry is hard in a year:, exp alone wont give ya the a1.

you need to be able to balance equations
    know your manufarcturing process topic- Premier periclase and the haber process
    you need the definitions
    all equations for various problems

this link below will help alot...covers everything!

http://skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2083

Just keep at test papers..its the only way you will drill the answer into your brain...Chemistry isn somethin you soak up like a sponge, unfortunatly....

lasair wrote: »
    Chemistry is hard in a year:, exp alone wont give ya the a1.

you need to be able to balance equations
    know your manufarcturing process topic- Premier periclase and the haber process
    you need the definitions
    all equations for various problems

this link below will help alot...covers everything!

http://skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2083

Just keep at test papers..its the only way you will drill the answer into your brain...Chemistry isn somethin you soak up like a sponge, unfortunatly....

Thanks for the link! Its actually really helpful!:)

OK, well Ill keep working at the chemistry and see how I get on. That means Im going to have to bring up my spanish B1 up to an A2. This is going to be really tough as this is a very picky subject. Though I thought I deserved an A after how the exam went, but the areas that let me down were tape and the comprehensions, of which are either full marks or zero marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

pm me if you ever need help,..me is a chemistry/irish/maths/biology teacher...

• Advertisement

lasair wrote: »
    pm me if you ever need help,..me is a chemistry/irish/maths/biology teacher...

Thanks a million for your help and your offer of the PM!:) You might come to regret that though!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Chem is very doable.

Approach it logically. Know definitions. Understand them. Same goes for formulae and experiments.

Then, apply them. Think about them. Chat about them with friends.

Get lots of practice with questions. Get people to test you. Put post-its up about the place.

You're good at the LC already. I genuinely think it's possible.

And good luck! See you next September.:)

Chem is very doable.

Approach it logically. Know definitions. Understand them. Same goes for formulae and experiments.

Then, apply them. Think about them. Chat about them with friends.

Get lots of practice with questions. Get people to test you. Put post-its up about the place.

You're good at the LC already. I genuinely think it's possible.

And good luck! See you next September.:)

Thanks!:) I think it might be doable, going through marking schemes and exam paper question too will help, the marking scheme seems to be very much like biology, and theres a lot of choice too.
    Hopefully Ill be seeing you in September!(that is if I can pull through it!:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Ill be seeing you in September!(that is if I can pull through it!:eek:)
    You can and you will.

Advertisement