Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hall of Fame 2010

Options
  • 19-09-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

The initial list for the Hall for next year has been announched, here it is.

This years first time entries are Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Gary Anderson, Tim Brown, Rich Gannon, Eddie George and Aeneas Williams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

frostie500 wrote: »
    Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Tim Brown, Aeneas Williams.
    they should go in, others are hall of very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Yeah those four are locks. Hopefully they take Ray Guy and Ricky Jackson into strong consideration as well.

As an aside why is Korey Stringer on the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

rice and smith are definite locks for first time ballot entry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

would love to see Tim Brown and Rich Gannon go in together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

would love to see Tim Brown and Rich Gannon go in together.

Do you think Cliff Branch or Ken Stabler have a legitimate shot at the Hall of fame?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Not too sure about Branch but Ken Stabler should be in there already its a disgrace that he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

So with five modern and possibly two senior nominees these are the players up for discussion:
    Tim Brown, wr-kr, L.A./Oakland, 1988-03; Tampa Bay, 2004
    Cris Carter, wr, Philadelphia, 1987-89; Minnesota, 1990-01; Miami, 2002
    Don Coryell, coach, St. Louis Cardinals, 1973-77; San Diego, 1978-86
    Roger Craig, rb, San Francisco, 1983-1990; L.A. Raiders, 1991; Minnesota, 1992-93
    Dermonti Dawson, c, Pittsburgh, 1988-00
    Richard Dent, de, Chicago, 1983-93, 1995; San Francisco, 1994; Indianapolis, 1996; Philadelphia, 1997
    Russ Grimm, g, Washington, 1981-91 Washington Redskins
    Charles Haley, de-lb, San Francisco, 1986-91, 1999, Dallas, 1992-96
    Rickey Jackson, lb, New Orleans, 1981-93; San Francisco, 1994-95
    Cortez Kennedy, dt, Seattle, 1990-00
    Dick LeBeau, cb, Detroit, 1959-72
    Floyd Little, rb, Denver, 1967-75
    John Randle, dt, Minnesota, 1990-00; Seattle, 2001-03
    Andre Reed, wr, Buffalo, 1985-99; Washington, 2000
    Jerry Rice, wr, San Francisco, 1985-00; Oakland, 2001-04; Seattle, 2004
    Shannon Sharpe, te, Denver, Denver, 1990-99, 2002-03; Baltimore, 2000-01
    Emmitt Smith, rb, Dallas, 1990-02; Arizona, 2003-04

I hope Dick LeBeau gets in, he really deserves it. As far as the modern players are concerned there are only a max of three spots available-Rice and Smith are locks as stated by earlier posters. So who will the other three be? I think Don Coryell deserves to be in the hall for the offence the Chargers had in his day and for revolutionising the TE position into a pass catching position instead of just blocking with Keelen Winslow Sr. playing for him with the chargers. Guys like Shannon Sharpe wouldnt have been productive in the NFL without the Air Coryell offence.

I think Cris Carter deserves to be in the Hall he was a terrific route runner with great hands same for Andre Reed.

On defence Charles Haley was a member of the Niners and Cowboys dynasties of the 80s/90s but I dont think he'll get in for another few years with a few players probably more worthy right now. John Randle was a six time all pro and went to a couple more pro bowls and a member of the all decade team for the 90s.

Special Teams, how is Ray Guy still not elected into the hall. I know that kickers and punters are not usually enshrined he was a seven time probowler and six time All Pro as well as three time Super Bowl winner with the Raiders. He was on the 70s All Decade and the 75th Aniversary team as well. Tim Brown is another guy who went to nine pro bowls and was a great returner who had ten seasons with 75 or more catches. He was productive and consistant right from the start of his career

Vets should be LeBeau and Grimm with Randle and Haley to get in later.
    Smith, Rice and Brown should get in too, but i wouldn't be surprised if there was some debate relating to Smith.

jdivision wrote: »
    i wouldn't be surprised if there was some debate relating to Smith.

Really? I know he was pretty crap in 'zona to end his career but he is the rushing leader in NFL history and was the lynchpin of the Cowboys dynasty in the ninties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

This is my slight problem with the HOF. Jerry Rice is in a class of his own here - the best WR of all time, and he's kinda being lumped in with guys (although brilliant) who can't touch him.

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Really? I know he was pretty crap in 'zona to end his career but he is the rushing leader in NFL history and was the lynchpin of the Cowboys dynasty in the ninties

But how much was down to the line in front of him? His YPC was barely over 4 yards and some of the records are becaus he just was around for a long time on a good team. I think he'll still go in, but I think there'll be debate.

davyjose wrote: »
    This is my slight problem with the HOF. Jerry Rice is in a class of his own here - the best WR of all time, and he's kinda being lumped in with guys (although brilliant) who can't touch him.

Yeah but if you were builing a "Hall of stupendous" it would have about ten players!;) You're right though Rice goes in this year and he will be head and shoulders above everyone else enshrined with him
    jdivision wrote: »
    But how much was down to the line in front of him? His YPC was barely over 4 yards and some of the records are becaus he just was around for a long time on a good team. I think he'll still go in, but I think there'll be debate.

His YPC may not be that great but he was an immense football player when he was playing. He was the focal point of the Cowboys which is impressive when you consider they had Troy Aikman at QB and Michael Irvin at reciever. Smiths YPC wouldnt be great due to his bruising between the tackles running style, he didnt have elite break the hole speed but he would wear down defences with his style. He had a good line in front of him but none have gone to the hall. The only Cowboys of that era to go will be Aikman and Irvin. Deoin Sanders will too but who knows what team he will enter with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Aikman shouldn't be in the HOF either, he's an even worse one then if smith gets in. His stats are pretty poor. 7.0 avg, 165TD 141Ints, 81.6 QB rating and never had a season with a rating over 100 and only 2 out of his 11 years did he go over 90.

Advertisement