Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Capsule question

Options
  • 19-09-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a Time Capsule (TC) and I've been reading up on the setup of it and watching some videos. I'm confused by the relationship between the TC and a router you'd have in your house from BT or Eircom.

Can you disconnect your router and replace it with the TC?

Or do you have to connect the TC to your router with an Ethernet cable? So you would be adding the TC to your existing wireless network.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

you can use TC as a router. but the problem I have found with the TC is the range isn't good. that may not matter and may have been improved in a later model. but you still need an ADSL modem. i.e you need to setup your eircom router in bridged mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

As Greentree says, the TC (and Airport Express and Extreme units) are routers, but not modem/routers.

There are too many modem-types required for different ISP types (DSL, Cable, Satellite, Mobile and variants within all of these) in different markets around the world to make it worthwhile to put various modem circuits into Airport products.

You can bridge the modem (although not all ISP's modems can be bridged) and do the modem setup and router settings in the Apple unit, or you can bridge the Apple unit and set up the modem/router to do those functions (the Apple unit then only functions as a Wi-Fi access point).

BTW, rather than a TC (which seems to have coverage issues, according to many reports), I use an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive, and while the coverage around the house is excellent, I also get to choose the hard drive size and how many I want to connect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Type 17 wrote: »
    I use an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive, and while the coverage around the house is excellent, I also get to choose the hard drive size and how many I want to connect ;)
    Do you use the external drives for TimeMachine? I remember reading about issues with this.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

There were issues when Leopard first came out, but it works fine for me now.

It backs up fine, and I've restored a few files from different times, as a test, without any issues.

Note that the external HD needs to be correctly formatted for use with Time Machine - more details here

Advertisement