Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden spike lights not working...

Options
  • 19-09-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi All,

I had an electrician install some garden lights in my garden a few years ago and they have been working fine up to recently. I should mention that the lights are wired to the mains and are not part of a kit with a plugin transformer like those found at B&Q. Anyway, some lights started to take a while to come on while others don't come on at all.

At first I thought maybe the halogen bulbs were starting to fail, so I replaced one of the bulbs, but the same thing. The light would take a few minutes to come on.

So then I thought maybe the spike lights themselves were at fault since they are looking rather weathered and also starting to crumble! So I got replacement spike lights. The replacements are identical to the old ones and rated at IP55.

So I replaced one of the spikes as a test and.... the same thing! Nothing now at all. The light never comes on.

So next on the list for troubleshooting was the transformer that's wired up to it. The transformer is over 5 years old at this stage and it's life is around 5 years, so I thought maybe thats the issue. So went out today and bought a replacement like for like Robus RAPS-70D transformer. Installed it and.... Still not working!!!

I don't know what else it could be. The spike is wired to a box which links to the next spike light etc. If there was something wrong with the cable back to the house, I woudn't expect the next light down to worl, but it does!

Can anyone offer any advise on what it could be or what to test next? :confused:

Cheers
    Michael

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

So they are low-voltage lamps (given that you're saying there is a transformer)? It could be the cable between the junction box and the lights, it may have disintegrated if it's under the soil.

And you're saying you've replaced the entire light fitting?

Are these solar controlled lights by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Hi

I replaced the whole spike light including the cable that runs between the junction box and the spike. Yep they are low voltage and the transformer is new also. Everything was wired up the same as before but it doesn't work. The junction box has a cable that leads on to the next spike light and that works so I would imagine that everything is wired ok. I can't explain it.

I guess it's possible that the new light is faulty I guess, so I'll try to swap it out and see tomorrow.

Cheers
    Michael

Advertisement