Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU MMA CLUB 2009/10

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey all

Sadly the summer break is coming to and end (for us lucky students anyway;)) but there is good news with DCU MMA once again opening its doors to all for the 2009/10 year.
    Following our huge success last year we are kicking off again starting on monday October 12th and the club is open to all so if your curious about this MMA stuff or are a UFC fan and want to get in some extra training or fitness work then come on down and join in. This year we will be training on monday(6-7pm) and wednesday(8-9.30pm) evenings.

History
    DCU MMA CLUB was started in september of 2008 as a way of introducing people to MMA as a sport/hobby and as a means of fitness and self defence. The goal of the club is to introduce people to MMA and challenge people with a new sport and experience. For those interested in the competitive side of the club DCU now boasts 5 intervarsity all Ireland champions in grappling as well as a host of silver and bronze medallists and we only plan to improve on this in the coming year.

Experience level
    In DCU MMA we have experience levels ranging from champion kickboxers and grapplers to complete beginners. The classes are all about fun and improving together by trading knowledge and improving both body and mind.

What to expect in the coming classes?
    Each week of classes contain an equal mix of stand up and grappling with fitness elements coming from pad work, grappling drills, rolling,sparring and circuit training. We mix up every session and you'll learn something new each class in a safe and enjoyable way.

Here is a video of some of the class hitting mitts from last years training
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3qA2N6AO8

Price?
    €4 standard registration fee

Its only €5 per week regardless of whether you take part in 1 class or 2 classes.

Check us out further for details such as training times etc at

www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

Any questions feel free to ask away.

See you at the club:).

-Oisin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rafther

i have been going to DCU MMA since last sept and found it very good for anyone looking to start MMA.
    its thought well and theres somethin for everyone from the beginner up and for anyone that wants to take it a step further a few of us go to BJJRevolution in Kilbarrack...

Anyways just bumpin the thread, thanks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 moored26

Yeah I started doing MMA in DCU in January and loved it, all the guys and girls there are cool and its a fun environment to learn the sport we all love, they focus on technique and positioning a lot which is the very very important basics, and the impact the lessons had on us were finely represented in the intervarsities where nearly all of us got medals and alot of the ones who didn't get medals were beaten by a fellow DCU student.

Can't wait to start back in two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

i joined up with dcu mma back in october 2008 & found the experience great. before i started with the club i only had experience with ball sports [basketball, football, hurling, gaelic & dec hockey] but quickly took to it. anyone who has any passing interest in combat sports or even wrestling [yes even pro-wrestling (ex-fan here)] i'd advise you to give it a try as learning the intricacies of the different aspects of striking, grappling & submission can give you a much greater appreciation of it. especially when watching the likes of ufc or strikeforce. if you enjoy the competitionend of things & want to go further there should be another intervarsity competition in april 2010. have to say had a great time at it last year & even walked away an all-ireland champ [novice 102kg class]

here's a few links to vids to give you a taster.

oisin at the intervarsity competition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmamnjpWMhs&feature=channel_page

myself rolling on week 3 [yes i'm the one with the blue socks]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzr1qIWjRXw&feature=channel_page

& some pad work to finish off
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLhzaz__3Jg&feature=channel_page

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Good to hear your all gonna be back training guys. Your gonna be monsters by the years end considering how dedicated you were last year.

I just want to take a moment to credit those that came before us in DCU before we started the Mixed Martial Arts club. In 1998 a group managed to convince the university to allow a martial arts club incorporating a variety of styles. This club ran until 2006 when most of the committee listed below (some of which are posters here) graduated from the college. They deserve credit as their work to gain acceptance for martial arts in the university allowed DCU MMA to establish itself so easily and with limited hurdles.

Thanks guys

2005/2006 DCU MA committee
    Chairperson - Mark Cooney
    Vice-Chairperson - Keith Browning
    Secretary - Kevin McGarrigle
    Treasurer - Richard O'Doherty
    Public Realtions Officer (PRO) - Declan Traynor
    Event's Officer (Ents) - Zowie O'Neill
    Women's Officer - Zowie O'Neill
    Safety Officer - Luke Pring

-Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Hi Oisin,

Thanks so much for the credit!

Yeah we were working towards an 'MMA' club, training in striking, with a little bit of wrestling...and then finally BJJ when we managed to get Owen Roddy down to teach us, who was outstanding!

But you guys have taken it to the next level with a full blown MMA club. Congrats on that, it's great to see.

All the best to you and the continued success of the club.

Keith

• Advertisement

just a reminder for anyone attending dcu that you can signup for the club at clubs & socs tomorrow & wednesday & we'll be starting classes monday of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mdc5065

What all do we need to bring? I left most of my gear back in the States and need to buy some basics anyway. Are you providing gloves etc?

gloves & pads are provided. the MAIN kit you need is a cup & gum shield. after that a t-shirt & shorts should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

The registration days were a great success. A little over 150 people signed up and paid their registration fee.

The first class takes place this monday at 6pm and don't forget you don't need to be a DCU student to train with us.

Here is a copy of the email I sent to all the students currently registered.

*EMAIL*
    This coming monday (12th) will be the first class of the year giving everybody the chance to start on a similar footing, regardless of experience level. The class takes place in the Handball alley of the "DCU sports centre". There are changing rooms that you can use in the sports centre and if you have trouble finding the handball alley you will be given directions at reception.

What you need?
    You will need to bring a t-shirt, shorts, the weekly class fee of €5 and a will to learn and work hard.

Equipment
    We have equipment that we can provide you with but if you have your own equipment then BRING IT as we expect numbers to be very high this year. From the second week Gum sheilds and groin guards will be compulsory. We have never had any injuries in the club and we would like to keep it that way.

Being a member of DCU MMA is a great opportunity that you should take full advantage of during your time here in DCU. We will be inviting
    professional fighters and the top coaches in Ireland to guest teach techniques and skills that will help you develop both your body and your mind.
    Finally if your a little unsure of whether this club is the club for you TRY IT OUT. Its only €5 out of your life and many people never look back once they've started. It is an addictive past time.

Thats all I got to say for the moment. Try to arrive 10 minutes before the class on monday so you can sign your name into the book and get onto the training floor on time.

SEE YOU ALL ON MONDAY
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

Advertisement