Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get conkers?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Obviously I know they come of trees,but can I buy any in a garden center?
    I've heard they're great for keeping spiders away,and my boyfriend's house is suddenly full of massive ones!
    I've heard it's just because of the time of year,but I haven't seen them in any other houses,and they are seriously huge!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Why dont you just get a new boyfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

You do know the spiders wont kill you, dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I've heard they're great for keeping spiders away,and my boyfriend's house is suddenly full of massive ones!
    I've heard it's just because of the time of year,but I haven't seen them in any other houses,and they are seriously huge!:eek:

How the hell do they keep spiders away ? You get really good at playing conkers and challenge the spiders to a match.

Also you're looking for horse chestnut trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

35notout wrote: »
    You do know the spiders wont kill you, dont you?
    I know it's a completely irrational fear etc, but that still doesn't stop me from really disliking the feckers and wanting to see less of them.

c - 13 wrote: »
    How the hell do they keep spiders away ? You get really good at playing conkers and challenge the spiders to a match.

Also you're looking for horse chestnut trees.
    :D

From my very brief research,I've heard there may be some chemical in them that spiders don't like the smell of.
    I've never tried them,but some people swear they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I've never seen them for sale tbh. You'd get some in the phenox park or there's a place in cabra dont know the name of the place its up the road from mc donald's heading toward's the park on the right.

Mask wrote: »
    I've never seen them for sale tbh. You'd get some in the phenox park or there's a place in cabra dont know the name of the place its up the road from mc donald's heading toward's the park on the right.
    I'm not near phoenix park,but will do abit more searching tomorrow I think.
    Thanks for your help anyways. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tel9

are you being serious ? did your grandmother tell you conkers will stop spiders coming into your house?

1st of all , spiders in a house is a very good sign, no dampness , the house is breathing properly etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I am going to suggest something revolutionary here;

How about picking them off a chestnut tree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

St. Anne's Park in Raheny is full of them. They're not going to keep spiders away though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Some people think I’m Conkers
    But I just think I’m free
    Man I’m just living my life
    There nothing crazy about me
    Some people pay for thrills
    but I get mine for free

(Conkers)

Massive nostalgia here thinking of Conker's Bad Fud Day :P

gonna go look up some of the youtube vids

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

...at the National Conker Championships held in Freshford Co. Kilkenny on the October Bank Holiday weekend!!! Seriously! Come on down and you can get enough conkers to fill every room in your house! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You're crossbreeding acorns with conkers?
    It'll never work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You're crossbreeding acorns with conkers?
    It'll never work.

I challenge you to a game of acornkers Dr Bollocko!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that "Little Acorn" is really Kirsten Dunst.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

What you need is a Bailisk in the plumbing. That'll get rid of any spider issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

BUY conkers? In a garden centre? Is you mental?:rolleyes:

Can you not borrow a few children from somewhere and get them to go conker-picking with you? They'l have fun, and you'll have your conkers....... win-win!!!:p

Really can't see conkers helping with your spider issues though.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

if you want to get rid of spiders, Here's your only man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
    charm.
    Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, dear.
    Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
    Homer: Oh, how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
    [Homer considers this.]
    Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I have a fine big pair of conkers if you want them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

In National School we used to steal them from the priest's garden after school. That would be in mid to later September. Sometimes we'd throw them at each other with the green spiky skin still on:p

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

I assume you’re talking about one of these wee divils.
    http://www.badspiderbites.com/images/wolf-spider-2.jpg

They are great for keeping silverfish numbers down. You know those little insects that come out at night and run around the floors and cupboards. If you get up in the middle of the night and switch on the light, you’ll see dozens crawling around. The good old spider chase them down and eat them for you.You can't buy that sort of service.

I am going to suggest something revolutionary here;

How about picking them off a chestnut tree?

Don't know where my nearest chesnut trees within walking distance are,as living in town.
    If I can get a lift to some maybe,but I'd prefer to buy some if possible.

St. Anne's Park in Raheny is full of them. They're not going to keep spiders away though.

I'm not in Dublin, but thanks to everyone there,who has tried to help me.
    You, Mask and Doolee. :-)

are you being serious ? did your grandmother tell you conkers will stop spiders coming into your house?

1st of all , spiders in a house is a very good sign, no dampness , the house is breathing properly etc etc

No i heard about it while researching what type of spiders they were,although she would probably have an even stranger way to get rid of them,(granny know best) :-)
    Some people think I’m Conkers
    But I just think I’m free
    Some people pay for thrills
    but I get mine for free

(Conkers)

Christmas number 1? :-)

I think I will check around a few garden centers,and if they're not sold there's a wood a few miles outside the town so might get a lift there.
    Thanks everyone.

What you need is a Bailisk in the plumbing. That'll get rid of any spider issues.
    Can you not borrow a few children from somewhere and get them to go conker-picking with you? They'l have fun, and you'll have your conkers....... win-win!!!

Both great ideas,now where did I put Harry Potter's number? :-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mod hat:
    Every time I get emailed an update from this thread I think somebody's asking me where they can get hookers.
    That is all.

I assume you’re talking about one of these wee divils.
    http://www.badspiderbites.com/images/wolf-spider-2.jpg

They are great for keeping silverfish numbers down. You know those little insects that come out at night and run around the floors and cupboards. If you get up in the middle of the night and switch on the light, you’ll see dozens crawling around. The good old spider chase them down and eat them for you.You can't buy that sort of service.

I did see one of them there I think, but mainly it seems to be this type:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/47/Tegenaria_duellica.JPG/250px-Tegenaria_duellica.JPG

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:nF7O9Kir3tsl2M:http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspiders/tegenariad.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:xcIh7P9yVLdO6M:http://upload.overclock3d.net/dwn/111942032373/img_3465.jpg

I've heard they are a species of Tegenaria,and that males are common this time of year,as they come into the heat(of house) looking for females to mate with.
    They're gross,and REALLY fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Oi!!

:(

But yes, wolf spiders will get rid of me fairly fecking fast I can tell you,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

The conker emporium on conker st. has a two for one special till sunday.

hope that helps op, and good luck

Advertisement