Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smash Hits

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭

Who here is old enough to have purchased Smash Hits in the 80s/early 90s? A former editor was on TV earlier and her deadpan manner reminded me of just how funny and clever that magazine could be. I mean, there was a really dry wit there - and more than a bit of piss-taking. No teeny-bopper hysteria - and lots of great artists/bands, even though it was a "pop" (as in, commercial) magazine.

And the lyrics pages were awesome...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's like the NME down - dumbed down to suit modern tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

i loved that magazine, and also TOTP, back ages ago think i was about age8-12! :D

anyone remember Ellegirl magazine? and used to get it?
    i thought that was the most excellent and brilliant magazine ever! :) still do now :D but was taken off the shelves in October2005 with no warning :( wish they would start up making it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ITT: Old women :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

the cool kids bought Look-In

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Bought it between 94-97 when it suited my musical interests at the time , The writing was good as I recall , Then around 97 it seemed to abandon "indie" music just as that was beginning to become my main interest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    anyone remember Ellegirl magazine? and used to get it?
    i thought that was the most excellent and brilliant magazine ever! :) still do now :D but was taken off the shelves in October2005 with no warning :( wish they would start up making it again!
    Aha yeah, used to rob that off my older sister and I thought it was the coolest magazine ever because it wasn't all 'OMG, does he fancy me?!'. And Peaches Geldof used to be in it too, back when she was an ok person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I adored it. I read it religiously in the mid-eighties. I think the modus then was to be very pro-pop and any serious, solemn or - heaven forbid - old artists got the piss ripped out of them.

They used to call people names like Sir Billiam of Idol. I still use the phrase The Dumper (where you go when you flop horribly), as in Brother Beyond - the dumper beckons...

I'm think they described Fleetwood Mac along the lines of being hundreds of years old and they all got married to each other on a tennis court or something.

They brought out a best of Smash Hits annual a few years back and I bought it. They reprinted the interview with Pete Burns and Morrissey (then friends) that I remember reading back in the day. It's hilarious and camp, Choice quotes:

You provocative little minx you.

He sent me 26 roses when it was my birthday and I sent him 48 naked sailors.

Copy of it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:D Brilliant!

Yes, the "dumper"! I remember that so well. :D
    I'm less happy about memories of Brother Beyond being dredged up though... :mad:

The letters page was often quite funny too - great responses to some of the correspondence sent in (often quite funny itself). Either the letter of the week or perhaps just any letter that got published was rewarded with a "token and towel." Not sure what the token was for - WH Smith I'm guessing.

Very intelligently written - Neil Tennant was actually editor for a while... Other writers are now journos with the Guardian, Independent etc.

Edit: Some very kind Music mod (not sure who) moved this to All Things Retro at my request, as I think it's more of a nostalgia thread than a music one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

stovelid wrote: »
    They reprinted the interview with Pete Burns and Morrissey (then friends) that I remember reading back in the day. It's hilarious and camp, Choice quotes:

You provocative little minx you.

He sent me 26 roses when it was my birthday and I sent him 48 naked sailors.
    I remember reading that back in the day too.

I used to get it occasionally in the mid-80's, but I found the tone of writing very annoying, things such as using 'ver' for 'the' to suggest a mockney tone of voice.

'Q' was the magazine for grown-ups. Then the editor of Smash Hits moved over to 'Q' in the late-80's and turned it into Smash-Hits Heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I bought this in the mid-80s. It was great to have access to song lyrics, and reading interviews with the stars of the time. Aw, Dudess, Brother Beyond were quite good! I remember the Jetts were frequently in this magazine, they were a family from some Pacific island - there was 13 of them and their mam was pregnant again! But they had great songs.
    Anybody here remember Just Seventeen?

• Advertisement

In retrospect, I always thought the terminology was a bit of a spoof on yoof phrases. I didn't read it much once I got to about 15, but it always made me chuckle.

<old_fart_bit>
    It's funny to think of how exciting it was to get the correct lyrics for songs you liked. An innocent time, really.
    </old_fart_bit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i had a letter published in smash hits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I used to flick through it on the shelf before I'd buy to see what song lyrics were in it. I remember an issue having the words of 'Girls just wanna have fun', a schoolmate tortured me for days to bring it in to her and I kept forgetting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dudess wrote: »
    :D Brilliant!

The letters page was often quite funny too - great responses to some of the correspondence sent in (often quite funny itself). Either the letter of the week or perhaps just any letter that got published was rewarded with a "token and towel." Not sure what the token was for - WH Smith I'm guessing.

My older sisters who were teens in the 80's used to get it, and i'd read it. the letters page was my favourite, answered by Black Type or le type noir...

also loved whenever a photo of paul mccartney was printed it was usually followed by a "fab macca wacky thumbs aloft" caption.

when black type was axed it went to ****....the was the exact moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

In the 90's, when i was a teenager i used to buy Smash Hits, Big, MG and TV Hits for the boy band interviews and posters and then at 14, i discovered American Magazines were being sold in Easons so i started buying Teen Machine and 16 so i could read all about the cute American teenage fellas from my favourite tv shows.

"fab macca wacky thumbs aloft" caption

:D

That phrase still goes through my mind whenever I see him in that pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I bought my first copy of Smash Hits in 1992. Right Said Fred and Manic Street Preachers were on the cover. Says it all, really. I hope I still have it somewhere though I've read it right through dozens of times over the years. The self-conscious humour/passion thing made it absolutely perfect for young teenagers.
    *happy nostalgia buzz*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Remember the free cans of Tizer?

Or the free stickers of bands like 3T and 911!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I found the tone of writing very annoying, things such as using 'ver' for 'the' to suggest a mockney tone of voice.
    That's the kind of thing I used to find funny though. I don't know why - think they were doing it in a piss-takey way.
    kelle wrote: »
    Aw, Dudess, Brother Beyond were quite good!
    Nowhere near as good as Jason though... :mad:
    BB were more Bros's rivals actually - I disliked both though.
    I remember the Jetts were frequently in this magazine, they were a family from some Pacific island - there was 13 of them and their mam was pregnant again! But they had great songs.
    The Jetts: a poor man's Five Star. :pac:
    "How did you know? 'Cuz I never told. You found out... I've got a crush on you". Loved that song! :D
    Can't say I remember anything else by them though...
    also loved whenever a photo of paul mccartney was printed it was usually followed by a "fab macca wacky thumbs aloft" caption.
    LOL yeah! I only vaguely knew who Paul McCartney was. I remember they always referred to Shakin' Stevens as "raven-haired Welsh rocker" and they did a cartoon piece on Morrissey house-hunting and saying to the estate agent "I'll buy it if it lets rain in"...
    Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Kold wrote: »
    ITT: Old women :pac:

Thanks. I really feel old now. Smash Hits was a magazine my daughter read. In my teenage years we read FAB 208 :eek:

• Advertisement

kelle wrote: »
    I bought this in the mid-80s. It was great to have access to song lyrics, and reading interviews with the stars of the time. Aw, Dudess, Brother Beyond were quite good! I remember the Jetts were frequently in this magazine, they were a family from some Pacific island - there was 13 of them and their mam was pregnant again! But they had great songs.
    Anybody here remember Just Seventeen?

lol yeah i remember that :D just seventeen, then twas called seventeen, then J17! got that first at 14 or 15 i think, and thought it was a real "grown ups" magazine! lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Dudess wrote: »

The Jetts: a poor man's Five Star. :pac:
    "How did you know? 'Cuz I never told. You found out... I've got a crush on you". Loved that song! :D
    Can't say I remember anything else by them though...

I loved this one, and the words were in Smash Hits!

And remember those bows? I remember fashion experts advising those with full moon faces to wear very wide bows to give an illusion of a slimmer face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Hah! I loved this mag. I read it religiously in the late 80s and loved the sense of humour. They totally ripped the piss out of all the bands. I remember a caption on a New Kids on the Block (rubbish boy band) had their names as Donny, Danny, Mickey, Mungo and Midge!!
    The journalists would ask the musicians really mad questions and there was always notes from the Editor in interviews like: [Ed. You're fired!]

remeber Down the Rave up? And Gordon Bennett- I think he answered the letters. They always called the UK Blightey. And down the Dumper.

I am going to look out for that annual

cinnamon wrote: »

I am going to look out for that annual

This is the one I bought. Maybe it's still in the shops..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Smash-Hits-Mark-Frith/dp/031602709X

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

I was cleaning out the attic a couple of weeks ago and found and old smash hits annual from 1988 with a young Kylie on the front.A real blast from the past.I even remember buying the thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I think i got free cd or cassette with one issue still have it somewhere - oh god i feel old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭gipi

JP Liz wrote: »
    I think i got free cd or cassette with one issue still have it somewhere - oh god i feel old

You feel old??? I think I bought the first Smash Hits (1978 or thereabouts.....:eek::D)...wonder if I have it stashed somewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My older sisters who were teens in the 80's used to get it, and i'd read it. the letters page was my favourite, answered by Black Type or le type noir...

when black type was axed it went to ****....the was the exact moment.

ya, the letters page with Black Type was the best, think I remember that they had a penpal section in there for a while as well. All I remember is that everyone looking for a penpal seemed to like The Pixies, The Smiths and The Cure which I wouldn't have been into at the time ( I was about 9) but am now!

It went downhill in a big way once they got rid of the letters page and it started becoming more like Heat and similar stuff and not really focused on music at all.

Actually just had a flashback, I think their address for sending letters, competitions etc was Carnaby St, London and they used to refer to it regularly in the magazine 'Just saw Morrissey walking down Carnaby St' type stuff and at the time it sounded like the coolest place in the world. Or where you would go to see famous popstars.

And how many of you tuned into the annual Smash Hits Poll Winners Party?:D

ya, the letters page with Black Type was the best, think I remember that they had a penpal section in there for a while as well. All I remember is that everyone looking for a penpal seemed to like The Pixies, The Smiths and The Cure which I wouldn't have been into at the time ( I was about 9) but am now!

It went downhill in a big way once they got rid of the letters page and it started becoming more like Heat and similar stuff and not really focused on music at all.

Actually just had a flashback, I think their address for sending letters, competitions etc was Carnaby St, London and they used to refer to it regularly in the magazine 'Just saw Morrissey walking down Carnaby St' type stuff and at the time it sounded like the coolest place in the world. Or where you would go to see famous popstars.

And how many of you tuned into the annual Smash Hits Poll Winners Party?:D

ME!!!!!! :D

that was my VMAS back then!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

I bought it in the early eighties at the height of all the New Romantic era - still have a a box of them in the attic that I never get to whenever I'm dumping stuff. After a few years of just getting Smash Hits, it's rival came out, called 'No1'....anyone remember that? A bit more like the celebrity Heat style mags today but I did buy it whenever I was flush and could afford both of them.........simple pleasures!:)

Advertisement