Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making of Album Documentaries

Options
  • 18-09-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

I saw the Making Of documentary that came with Mastodon's Crack the Skye and really enjoyed the insight it gives in relation to recording an album. Plus, it is insanely cool to see Brent Hinds recording a guitar solo :)

What are some of the better "Making of the Album" documentaries out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

"Some Kind Of Monster"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

"Some Kind Of Monster"

"A year and a half in the life" of Metallica is pretty good,all about the making of the black album,some funny scenes of Hetfield losing it with bob rock:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I've yet to watch a full "Making of..." DVD but I watch the studio diaries of upcoming albums, such as TesseracT's first album and Between the Buried and Me's new album.

It's great to see how they can get all this done but still have a bit of a laugh about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Snakes And Arrows by Rush ,,,

there's an enhanced cd out there of the album with a MIDI play disc formatt (did i say that right?!) anyway has the album there for use on pc's and also a video of the album making process, some excellent stuff,,including how they came up with that terrific instrumental - Malignant Narcissm,, and some great footage of the boys doing their stuff...amazed at Alex Lifesons speed at one clipp on an acoustic 12 string...man that guy has guitar chops a plenty! :)

enjoy....Baggio.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lord lucan wrote: »
    "A year and a half in the life" of Metallica is pretty good,all about the making of the black album,some funny scenes of Hetfield losing it with bob rock:D

Part 2 was class. Some of Part 1 was good, but it all seemed a bit forced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Part 2 was class.

Hetfield reading out Axls backstage rider!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

lord lucan wrote: »
    Hetfield reading out Axls backstage rider!:D

"Square ham...." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The special edition of Dream Theatre's Systematic Chaos had a 90 minute making of. It was pretty good, was broken up into the individual songs. Nothing too in depth, a few laughs in it though.

The Opeth one for Deliverance and Damnation is great.You see what a disaster the making of Deliverance was :P You can watch it on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched the docu on Dark side of the moon on the BBC sometime ago. Was a good time for the band. Good programme with plenty of input by the band,producer and sound engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

There was a making of DVD that came with Deicides Scars of the Crucifix album that was pretty decent.Its about 45 minutes long and has interviews with the band inside and outside the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

Great suggestions, I'll check out the Opeth and Deicide ones, I've seen the rest. Keep 'em coming though guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Here's the first part of the Opeth one anyway. You can find the other parts from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of this sort of thing, BBC4 is screening Classic Albums edition for The Doors debut on Friday next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sky Arts Channel , Sky 256 is always showing something from the "Classic albums" series ... I recommend watching most of them (even stuff outside of rock / metal :eek:) cos it usually a good insight into the personnel / methods that went into recording these iconic albums ...

Ones Ive seen and enjoyed :

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Catch a Fire
    Cream - Disraeli Gears
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    The Doors - The Doors
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (') / Over-Nite Sensation
    Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun and American Beauty
    Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    Judas Priest - British Steel
    Motörhead - Ace Of Spades
    Nirvana - Nevermind (see Classic Albums: Nirvana - Nevermind)
    Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
    Queen - A Night at the Opera
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
    The Who - Who's Next

Taped but haven't watched yet ....

Steely Dan - Aja

Advertisement