Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tabloid Fascination With Jordan

Options
  • 18-09-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Part of my daily routine is to scan on the Sky News website the front pages of the UK papers while having my breakfast. Practically on a daily basis at least one of the redtops will have a front page devoted to the latest supposed events in the life of Katie Price.

Now I have absolutely nothing against the woman and I take it as read that the supposed events are mostly the inventions of either her PR people and/or journalists. I couldn't care less whether they are true or not. I am not in the least bit interested in her or her life.

What intrigues me is why the papers in question devote so much space to her. Is a large section of the British public really hungry for the latest so called news on Jordan? Is there a co-relation between Jordan on the front page and an increase in sales? Can that be sustained day after day after day? To what extent do these papers rely on PR generated stories?

She must be making a pot load of money out of all this. Does anyone know how that works? Is there some kind of once-off payment deal agreed with her publicist or is it a percentage of sales or what?

Any insights would be welcome. Just please note that this is not about Jordan per se but about the calculated journalistic exploitation of a "celebrity" for the mutual benefit of both.

Regards,

Fnergg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Simply put, celebrity sells, especially distressed celebrity.
    The population is not, as some see it, a homogenous group, is a huge group who thrive off different issues. for one group its celebrity and their issues.
    For an exclusive the celebs get a one off fee (manager possibly clips the ticket for 20% of that).
    Jordan is doing one this weekend for News of the World. Lets say she gets 250,000 for that (big money suggestion there) and they currently sell 3.1m – thats a cost of 8p a copy at retail. If they put on 100,000 (or 3%) they have it somewhat paid for.
    Like it or not, and only the public decide, celebrity sells and so do tabloids on the back of it.

Advertisement