Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Allowance Claim- Question

• 18-09-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello All,

I live with my boyfriend and I was giving him €50 per week towards bills when on was on Job Seekers Benefit.

I only work on a part-time casual basis.

My boyfriend is Unemployed and owns the property.

I never claimed for Rent allowance and was wondering can I apply for it ?

Any advice is very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if you're living with your boyfriend you can't claim for rent allowance to pay him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dorotka

Xiney wrote: »
    if you're living with your boyfriend you can't claim for rent allowance to pay him.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

i wouldnt be too sure but your boyfriend is entitled to rent out a room in his house and can charge what he wants up to 10.000 a year tax free, now he would have to declare this to the welfare office , if he had a job it would be a lot easier he could charge you and u could clam for rent allowance, id look more into it,

alrightcuz wrote: »
    i wouldnt be too sure but your boyfriend is entitled to rent out a room in his house and can charge what he wants up to 10.000 a year tax free, now he would have to declare this to the welfare office , if he had a job it would be a lot easier he could charge you and u could clam for rent allowance, id look more into it,

You can't rent a room to your partner and have them claim rent allowance. That's fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

hows that work,she's paying rent to him and his declaring it to the dole office wheres the fraud?im sure if she stopped paying him shed have to move home and he'd rent it to someone else,

• Advertisement

It's because if a couple are living together, they are considered "living as married" for the purposes of social welfare.

So she wouldn't be allowed to claim rent allowance at all even if she wasn't paying it to her partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

This might sound daft but how does anyone prove that they're a couple? They could just deny it surely?

Advertisement