Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended PS1/PS2 Games

Options
  • 18-09-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, Im expanding my PS1/2 library and would be interested to hear what you think are "must have classics" for each system. I play mostly FPS games on PC but cant play them with a joypad. So driving sims, rpgs, etc would be what Im looking at, but open to trying "new" styles :pac:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hi guys, Im expanding my PS1/2 library and would be interested to hear what you think are "must have classics" for each system. I play mostly FPS games on PC but cant play them with a joypad. So driving sims, rpgs, etc would be what Im looking at, but open to trying "new" styles :pac:

Cheers

PS2:
    (Racing)
    Gran Turismo 4

(RPG)
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XII
    Persona 3 FES
    Persona 4
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Rogue Galaxy
    Dark Chronicle

(Adventure)
    God of War
    God of War 2
    Devil May Cry
    Devil May Cry 3
    Ico
    Shadow of the Colossus

(Rhythm)
    Frequency
    Amplitude

I'm sure others will pick up the slack for omission of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,633 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

/edit - all of the below are for ps1

Do you have money to burn? :pac:

If so, try to get your hands on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the ps1. One of the best games ever made. It's in very high demand though!

And on the subject of Vampire related games, check out the Legacy of Kain series. The first one (Blood Omen) being more RPG based. The second one is great too.

Also, if you like shooters at all, get The Raiden Project. Perfect arcade versions of a couple of amazing shooters. Should be easy enough to pick up cheap.

G-Police and Future Cop LAPD are also quite enjoyable in the shooting department.

If you want totally crazy, check out Vib Ribbon. It's hard to discribe but really worth a go.

But anyway, I could go on and on as there are just too many good games for the ps1. just thought I'd throw in a fewer lesser mentioned titles before the masses come with their crash bandicoots, FFVII's, Tekkens and Drivers ;)

Oh and Metal Gear Solid.

But that kind of goes without saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Playstation One:

Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit
    International Superstar Soccer Pro Evolution
    Resident Evil 2
    Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha
    Castlevania Chronicles
    Colony Wars: Vengeance
    Metal Gear Solid
    Crash Bandicoot

Playstation 2:
    Cold Winter
    Silent Hill 2
    WipEout Fusion
    Killswitch
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PS1:
    Forget Wipeout Fusion on the PS2 and go for Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3 SE for all your antigrav racing needs.
    Rollcage 2
    F1 97
    Gran Tursimo 2
    Descent
    Doom
    Bust A Move 2
    Syndicate Wars
    Magic Carpet
    Alien Resurrection
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Need For Speed: Road Challenge
    Kurushi

PS2:
    Ico and SOTC, natch...
    Mad Maestro
    Capcom classics collection
    GTA III/VC/SA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd like to add to the PS2 RPG's already mentioned:

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lucifiers Call
    Suikoden 3 and 5 (forget 4)
    Odin Sphere
    Grim Grimoire
    Grandia 2
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Also on to some unmentioned PS2 games:

Zone of Enders 2: Possibly the best action game on the system
    Gradius V: Amazing shoot'em up from the masters Treasure
    Godhand
    Okami
    Project zero 1,2 and 3
    Ring of Red
    Yakuza 1 and 2
    Canem Canis Edit
    Viewtiful Joe
    Devil May Cry 1 and 3
    Kingdom Hearts
    The warriors
    Contra Shattered Soldier

Probably forgot a few.

As for PS1 games:

R-type Delta: Awesome shoot'em up
    Einhander: Another Awesome shoot'em up
    Gradius Gaiden: See above
    G-Darius: See above again
    Suikoden 1 and 2: Suikoden 1 is excellent, suikoden 2 is (and I know my opinion is objective but I'm totally right in this statement) the best RPG on the system.
    Breath of Fire 3 and 4
    Vagrant Story
    Valkyrie Profile
    Ape Escape
    Tomba 1 and 2
    Grandia
    Dragon Warrior VII
    Front Mission 3
    Silent Bomber
    Um Jammer Lammy
    Mega Man X 3,4 and 5
    Megaman Legend 1 and 2
    Strider 2
    Alundra
    Persona 2 (both Persona 2 games, the first one has a fan translation. You are better off getting Persona 1 on PSP)
    Klonoa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thank you all guys - invaluable advice and at least now I have an idea of what to look out for. Im one of the very rare gamers who never ever fell in love with the Playstation 1/2, despite owning both systems I have bearly any games for them, and I think its about time I took the plunge. I know I know Im about 15 years too late :pac: But to me...good games never die! Keep em coming guys and thanks again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm asking for trouble...but I liked C&C Red Alert on PS1. Soul blade is excellent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

PS1: Destruction Derby

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LoGiE wrote: »
    I'm asking for trouble...but I liked C&C Red Alert on PS1.

No point playing it. It's a crappy conversion compared to the PC version. There's also no point playing Red Alert when starcraft exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

OP where areb you based I have bout 12-15 PS1 game going for the grand total of free. Can't name them off hand. Will have a look later if your interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    PS1: Destruction Derby

+1.

Gregory Horror Show and Maximo are also worth a try if you come across them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OP where areb you based I have bout 12-15 PS1 game going for the grand total of free. Can't name them off hand. Will have a look later if your interested.

Im based just two mins away from the Naas Road/Kylemore Road junction....definitley be interested my generous friend :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

syphon filter is good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

PS1
    Twisted Metal - good 2 player game(well was back in 1995 anyway
    Toshinden battle arena

Tekken 1, 2, 3, Tag

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

cynos wrote: »
    PS1
    Twisted Metal - good 2 player game(well was back in 1995 anyway
    Toshinden battle arena

Tekken 1, 2, 3, Tag

Twisted Metal 2:World Tour,one of my all time favourite games,one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played.

Bloody Roar 2 and Rival Schools:United by Fate (both ps1) are worth checking out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Remember seeing pictures of Twisted Metal in a preview of the upcoming games for the new Playstation console by the upstarts at Sony!
    It blew me away, I couldn't believe there was any way a game could look that good, had to be some sort of pre-render.
    Same with Wipeout and Destruction Derby, looked awesome, when I bought the great game mag Maximum, it had a huge spread on the Playstation and the Saturn, with amazing previews of the critical games on each format, I was sold on the Playstation at that moment, all I had to do was sell the 3DO to some unsuspecting sap and save the rest of my magic beans up until the Playstation was released.
    Then, it was me, Wipeout, and the demo disc for hours, I also seem to remember a lot of time spent with Ridge Racer and Loaded....

Ah nostalgia, crack cocaine for the retrogamer in all of us....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Ps1:
    Tombi! - rare though, had it as a child and now I lost it :mad:
    Syphone filter 1 and 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    Crash Bandicoot 1 - 3
    Kula World
    Intelligence Qube

Kula World rocks!
    I have it and it's simply superb!
    An iphone game before the iphone was a twinkle in Mr Jobs eye!

I could just see it on a tilt enabled machine alright, maybe a once off DS cart with an accelerometer built in?

Master of the Universe

Only ever had a demo of Kula World but loved it. Seems to be fairly hard to come across. Same goes for Kurushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

PS2:
    Psychonauts
    Killer 7
    If you haven't played Beyond Good & Evil on something else yet, pick that up.

PS1:
    I seem to remember heartily enjoying Loaded (including nice PWEI soundtrack).

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Only ever had a demo of Kula World but loved it. Seems to be fairly hard to come across. Same goes for Kurushi.

It's cheap on PSN and worth buying.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    PS1:
    I seem to remember heartily enjoying Loaded (including nice PWEI soundtrack).

It's aged really badly now to the point of it being a load of arse.

Loaded, played the demo to death, mainly because there was bugger all else to play, and didn't want to wear out Wipeout!
    Nowadays it looks very like an old Amiga game with fancy (lurid?) lighting.
    The art was pretty nice though, very Simon Bisley, unless of course it was Simon Bisley in which case I am indeed a genius!
    It did date really fast, but at least was fn at the time, unlike pap like Krazy Ivan.
    I did, however, love early PS1 games like Cybersled and Assault Rigs, still fun although dated somewhat.
    Destruction Derby, must break that one out of confinment too.

Master of the Universe

I'm fairly sure the Loaded artwork was by another 2000AD artist, Greg Staples...(Some would say a Simon Bisley rip off) Still does great work though.

Actually I have an a4 Simon Bisley sketch that I picked up a little while back on ebay. (Have it up on my animation cel gallery..another pointless hobby of mine! http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp)
    It's nothing too great (I'm actually not sure what the character is from!) but it's not like I could ever afford one of his paintings so it'll have to do :(

As for Loaded and Reloaded, I really really did not like them at all. They're actually a couple of games I havent replayed since their original release. I would imagine they aged fairly badly.

Advertisement