Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu Vaccine

Options
  • 18-09-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

With all this swine flu in lime light at the moment I've booked in for a flu vaccine next week. The thing is its my first time and from stories people tell me that you get the flu from it etc... is it a risk for me with 6 weeks or so to the Dublin marathon?

Any advice or experience on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Does normal flu vaccine prevent H1N1 virus? I thought a specific vaccine for this strain wasn't available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Peckham wrote: »
    Does normal flu vaccine prevent H1N1 virus? I thought a specific vaccine for this strain wasn't available yet.

its availble for priotiry groups, or will be very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

sorry I ment the normal flu in general it's just the swine flu is in my head and I'm just paranoid about the whole thing. Any where I go and see the alcohol gel in a shop I'm wiping my hands thinking I'm going to catch something.

Its just putting in all this training and getting the flu; be it swine or normal is such a waste of effort. I guess I'm just trying to protect myself as much as I can. Like cotton wool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

keith123 wrote: »
    With all this swine flu in lime light at the moment I've booked in for a flu vaccine next week. The thing is its my first time and from stories people tell me that you get the flu from it etc... is it a risk for me with 6 weeks or so to the Dublin marathon?

Any advice or experience on this?
    from the general flu vaccination you will prob get a mild form of the symptoms associated with the flu , but it wont put you out too much i wouldnt think , as fo swine flu we are all 100% exposed till the vaccine comes out in late october and then it will be firstly available to priority groups (over 65s , under 3s , peoplw with certain underlying medical condition ) as tunney mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I had a flu jab yesterday, so far no side effects. (Not the swine flu jab)

I had one last year and it didn't make me ill afterwards either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I sometimes get the regular flu jab due to being an allegedly at risk person. I have just survived 3 months in the southern hemisphere winter without coming down with either the pig or regular version though. The regular flu jab generally makes me feel a bit crappy for a week or so and I didn't bother with it last year. I might get it this year though, but personally I'd not get it just before the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Thanks for the replies I might give it a miss until after the Marathon.

I dont want to feel dodgy for a few days after the jab as it might cause me to miss a few runs, the effect of the jab seems to be different for everyone but knowing me I'll be in a jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Old post addition, anyone on hi-tec Meds for rheumatoid arthritis, xeljanz, consider whether to get the flu jab or not, having had the jab I've had a major reaction and been advised to stop taking my hi-tec meds. I,m still waiting for Ent consultant and a rheumatology appointment to get help. I've had 3 GP visits and been crippled for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Bit of a, "don't F-up like I did post".

Got a call last week to finally get my Covid booster and Flu jab, as someone classed as a healthcare worker, I get both for free. So, off I pop to my local chemist last friday to get both. Chemist told me seeing as I was getting the two, that I'd probably be tired for the weekend, only for me to remember I was doing the raheny 5 mile 2 days later. In my defense, I do be in the company of older more vulnerable people, and with the current dose going around, it would be bad form to reschedule just so I could do a run.

Anyway, covid injection arm was sore until Sunday evening and I did feel tired, Garmin training readiness was in the 20's even with 4 days of complete rest. In saying that, I had a time in mind, paced for it and hit it.

So, my advice would be to probably take the next 2 days off, but you won't be wrecked and you might even be perfect if you just get the Flu jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I would always allow a good bit of time for recovery from the jab alright, but the bottom line is, I'd rather have a bad race than a dose of the flu (and anyway you didn't have a bad race, so well done).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Don't know about that.

I'd consider selling my soul for a good race, nevermind a dose of the flu.

The flu is pretty poxy alright, but a good race.. 😉

Advertisement