Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social/Care - Am i mad?

Options
  • 18-09-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi
    Im looking for some advice from people who may be in the know.
    I have been working in an office based design environment for the last 6 years. I have come to that place in my profession where i have reached a certain level and feel like i can not and do not want to go further. I find it pointless and empty and am thinking about changing careers.
    I would really like to do something that is genuinely worthwhile. That helps people. Where you are an important link in a chain (stark contrast to the job im in). I am 30 yrs old and i realise i will have to start from the bottom. I have been looking into Social Studies/Care Assistant/Care Support.
    Is there anyone out there in a similiar boat? anyone in this line of work?
    Whats the work really like? Do i have delusions that i can really make a difference?? Whats the best route i should take? fetac?

Also i still have to pay my mortgage-what is the pay like? Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

have a think about what you want to do. Social work is very different to being a care assistant, and the route of entry will be very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 polomint1

I know i guess im only at the early thinking stage and a bit vague. I guess i need to do more research. Thanks for your reply anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

To get into this line of work these days you need experience and a qualification. First decide what area of social care you want to work in and then maybe see if you can volunteer somewhere to see if It's really for you before commiting to a course and giving up your job. Depending on what you decide you'd like to do there are various different courses you can do. For working with children, disability or the elderly a social care qualification from one of the IT's is probably best or there are shorter courses in the plc's. i work in the drug and homeless sector and while the pay is pretty good you won't make your fortune.

thanks havana thats helpful. i dont care about making a fortune. the job im in isnt making me rich either. do you have job satisfaction at the end of the day?

Big time. I love it. I could never imagine my self in an office based job. I'm doing it since i left college 13 years ago. Still in the same place. Can be stressful and emotional at times but the positives make it so worthwhile.

• Advertisement

that sounds amazing! if i had even a small % of that feeling every day i would be thrilled. good for you :)

Then look in to it! Nothing to lose. I did a social studies\social care course in one of the IT's so any questions just ask. Even though it was along time ago now. But we get alot of placements from the different courses so i'd have a bit of info on them. Also if you've any questions if you decide to look into volunteering- thats how i started out.

thanks i may be back to you again so about it. for now, have a good wend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

Hi, I'm a third year nursing student and I joined nurse on call this summer as a health care assistant.I only hand to do the infection control course, which was free, as I had done the other required course in my nursing training.
    They require all their HCA's to complete courses in:
    >First Aid
    >Manual Handling
    >Infection Control
    >Management of violence and Aggression

If you have done any of thse already they may accept them but having said that I've known of people who had to repeat the course with them. Otherwise you can do the courses through nurse on call. they run a week long course each month that will do all these courses. It costs 500 euro but you get two uniform tunics included with that.
    You will also need to get tested for hep C, vaccinated against hep b and prove you have had all your standard vaccinations (mmr, bcg). You can have these tests done through nurse on call or with yourown gp.
    If you are not a nursing student it can be quite expensive to get set up with nurse on call, but once you are working you will easily earn it back. I have found it to be the ideal summer job because although the work is hard and for the most part you are working twelve hour days, you can pick and choose when you work, what hours, where, if you want days or nights (although they prefer you to start on days for a couple of months until you find your feet if you are not used to working nursing shift times) and the money is quite good, particuarly if you can do nights or weekends. All the pay rates are on their website.
    If you decide to join, pm me and I will send you a list of things you will need to bring in with you, there are a lot of little fiddly things that they don't tell you to bring on the website and it can be difficult to remember everything.
    Hope that helps:rolleyes:
    Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

polomint1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Im looking for some advice from people who may be in the know.
    I have been working in an office based design environment for the last 6 years. I have come to that place in my profession where i have reached a certain level and feel like i can not and do not want to go further. I find it pointless and empty and am thinking about changing careers.
    I would really like to do something that is genuinely worthwhile. That helps people. Where you are an important link in a chain (stark contrast to the job im in). I am 30 yrs old and i realise i will have to start from the bottom. I have been looking into Social Studies/Care Assistant/Care Support.
    Is there anyone out there in a similiar boat? anyone in this line of work?
    Whats the work really like? Do i have delusions that i can really make a difference?? Whats the best route i should take? fetac?

Also i still have to pay my mortgage-what is the pay like? Thanks a lot

Hi there

The only advice I can give is first decide on what are your reasons why you want to go back to college - do you want a career change and if so what type of career are you aiming for - From experience, I think its very important to examine your motivations when adults are going back to college. You need to ascertain whether it will be for a career is it leisure which it may well turn into (and nothing wrong with that) or just something to do with no defined purpose. Also consider what you have done and achieved thus far - how did you manage when doing the junior or leaving cert, are you good in classrooms, can you work in groups, can you do assignments to very short deadlines, and then there's the issue of planning for exams - how do you study - would you get stressed etc.

I changed my career at 30 - and it was a bloody hard slog but it was all worthed on graduation day....it really all depends on what you want to get out of it honours wise.

In my case I knew what I wanted and just went hell ahead and got it. Had a number of mishaps along the way - but got two more degrees on top of my original professional degree. My only advice is research thoroughly what you want to do - be very clear of your options... and if its somethiing you really want go all hell out and get it...dont let anybody stop you.

Your options are Social Science - points are pretty average and the main universities offer these courses - but as a mature student which I think you are you would be assessed on life achievements and experiences as well. It would be helpful if you could get work experience in a related area - say as a nursing assistant - social care worker with people with disabilities or even work as a volunteer on meals on wheels or visiting the elderly - it would certainly help in promoting your application. People with Social Science degrees can go on and do a two year master's in social work - qualifying them to practice as a social worker. People with Social Care qualifications go into social care roles in the community. I'd contact DIT in mountjoy square for more information on this course - what it entails and offers students and graduates.

Re: the mortgage question you would have to sit down with your other half and sort out - nobody knows really where the fees issue is going to be in 2010. I dont know the circumstance of your partner - but if you are unemployed and eligible for JB for a considerable period I think its 9 months - you are eligible for back to education allowance at present.... I would definately find out from citizens information what the situation is in relation to entitlements. You'd also be entitled to the county council maintenance grant which again is a means tested grant for students from the local county council. Some partnerships also run grants schemes for disadvantaged students subject to means which financially contribute to the costs of going to approved colleges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement