Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Difference between 318d and 320d

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is there any difference in the engines of a 318d and a 320d? (2006 model) apart from the BHP...

For example.. If I had a 318d could I remap it to be the same bhp as the 320d without causing it any harm?

I think the 318d is around 122bhp and the 320d is about 165bhp...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Current, Effecient Dynamics 318d is 143bhp. The 320d is 177bhp.

Don't see any reason why you can't map a 318d up. Not sure what the exact difference are between the 2 engines, may be a different turbo/intercooler, may be just the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think its the same engine, its just detuned slightly in the 318d. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Likewise I think the engine is virtually identical but not sure on the turbo piece... for some reason I have it in the back of my head the turbo is bigger in the 320d... but I am opne to correction on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

From doing some research I think there is a smaller turbo and smaller injectors but am not 100% sure..

If anyone knows for certain please let me know.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'm not sure either, but I suspect there is some difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

different injectors, different turbo and design and a different ECU map.

if your buying a 2006 car then both of them are taxed as a 2.0 so 614e per year, so imo, buy the 320d for the extra power and torque.

i would only buy the 318d if it was a fantastic spec or deal or 2008 model to benefit from the lower road tax.

but in answer to your other question, yes the 318d responds very well to a remap and puts it up to around the 320d power of 163bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

... and then if you remap the 320d it puts that up to ~190bhp and bucket loads of Nm's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

ION08 wrote: »
    up to ~190bhp and bucket loads of Nm's

Or 272 Ft/Lb's;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Or 272 Ft/Lb's;):)

That's old money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

ION08 wrote: »
    That's old money ;)

Yes but you still hear a lot people talk about mph and mpg on this forum!:D