Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Town Beer Festival....

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

So this is starting tonight for the weekend....anyone from here going for a nose and a beer :D

Free gigs on the diamond also with Big Generator tonight @ 8

Saturday,The Hothouse Flowers with support form Pavesi @ 7

Sunday, The louges @ 8.

If this weather holds up should be a great weekend :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Oh great minds do think alike.

Think I will take a wee nosey. Kinda tied up during in the evenings though. Is there anything happening during the day?

I remember going to 'beer festivals' in the UK many moons ago.. great craic. I wonder though.. being a beer festival what is the deal on the BEER part of it? Beer festivals I have visited in the past had loads of speciality, not normally seen (or drank ;) ) beers and prices were a lot cheaper than normal.

Is this a beer festival with music or a music festival with beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

irish1967 wrote: »
    Oh great minds do think alike.

Think I will take a wee nosey. Kinda tied up during in the evenings though. Is there anything happening during the day?

I remember going to 'beer festivals' in the UK many moons ago.. great craic. I wonder though.. being a beer festival what is the deal on the BEER part of it? Beer festivals I have visited in the past had loads of speciality, not normally seen (or drank ;) ) beers and prices were a lot cheaper than normal.

Is this a beer festival with music or a music festival with beer?

Beer festival with music!!! Dont think there is much happening during the day But on the beer side of things There is about 20 different Foreign beers in the bars...looks interesting

Programmes with list of beers are in the bars i think and the Abbey Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

:D
    just like to say congrats to the organising committee, great event really enjoyed the last 2 nights looking forward to later, great event

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it's been good so far. The weather has certainly helped too.

shame about the wind and the fighting last night pretty deplorable, right decsion to finish early IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

shame about the wind and the fighting last night pretty deplorable, right decsion to finish early IMO

I was up on Saturday nite and had a mighty nite, what happened lastnite??

DanFindy wrote: »
    I was up on Saturday nite and had a mighty nite, what happened lastnite??

logues were great but the wind picked up and strated lifting the stage (well the blow up thing anyway)
    apparently there was a crowd of young lads drinking all afternoon (apparently staggering round the diamond at 6pm) and when a bunch from castlederg (ruomored to be anyway ) arrived.
    by about 8:45pm there was sporadic fighting out round the taxi rank.
    also saw some guy get his nose punched in by a middle aged guy earlier (no idea what that was about - not sure if thats what kicked it all off) it was all easy enough to avoid - you see groups of young lads that drunk you just avoid them.

they pulled the band at 9pm rightly so unfortunately guess they didnt want it to go from a few guys picking fights to a pitched battle.

shame really had a great time on fri and sat night

byte

Wow, glad I wasn't there last night.

Was there not enough policing?

The simple fact you feel you have to avoid a group of drunk fellas is a poor sign really.

byte wrote: »
    The simple fact you feel you have to avoid a group of drunk fellas is a poor sign really./QUOTE]

on a night in donegal town (or anywhere for that matter), i always thought it was common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

I didnt make it out in town on sunday, but the crowds that were around fr saturday were fantastic and i highly enjoyed the hothouse flowers!

Great vibe and a huge congrats to the organisers who put such effort into it...

One thing i think would be a benefit for next year if it goes ahead would be to have the music earlier and finished by 9ish for these reasons

1: Way to cold on a september night to be standing outside at 10:45

2: Far too many kids (under12s) about at that hour subjected to things they shouldnt see.

3: the bars would get the extra benefit and it might stop crowds of young lads knocking the sh!te out of each other

• Advertisement
    byte

byte wrote: »
    The simple fact you feel you have to avoid a group of drunk fellas is a poor sign really.

on a night in donegal town (or anywhere for that matter), i always thought it was common sense
    That wasn't a dig at you btw! Anyone with sense does the same. I'm just saying it's sad that a group of lads can't have a bit of manners when having a few beers (I guess it's a "show off to your mates" thing, and usually the guys aren't as smart alone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 owendoc100

There was only two people fighting which could happened any weekend, it was a good weekend you always get one or two to ruin a nite on others

byte

owendoc100 wrote: »
    There was only two people fighting which could happened any weekend, it was a good weekend you always get one or two to ruin a nite on others
    That's true. Many a scuffle outside the Abbey when everyone's kicked out.

Anyway, Friday and Saturday were excellent. The weather certainly helped also!

Roll on next summer :D

Advertisement