Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy cactus/house plants in dublin city centre?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi there,

i'm having trouble finding any plant shops in dublin city centre these days, the only one i can think of is mr. middleton's on Mary st, but the last time i was there it seemed they didn't have much plants for sale at all, maybe they're scaling back for the recession.

I'm looking for a nice medium sized cactus, something similar to the first one in this picture
    cactus.group.shot1.jpg

does anyone know of anywhere in dublin city center, or very nearby, that i could get something like this? i've tried a few supermarkets in vain. what i'd really like is a nice dedicated plant shop with a decent enough selection. does this even exist in dublin?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

There's another garden shop at the Liffey end of Capel Street and failing that, somewhere like Woodies or Homebase have a garden section and you might find what you're looking for there.
    Also keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi for their specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Cant think of the name but the shop on Capel street near the Liffey has exactly what your after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 catkingcole

thanks! i wasn't sure if that capel st. shop was still open. will check today. i'd like to avoid having to take a lot of time out to get all the way out to a homebase, i don't have a car or anything right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

mad the way theres very few garden places in the city centre. And hardware shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

bumping this thread coz I'm looking for some at the minute (making a terrarium). Picked up some fairly shoddy ones in woodies today, there were about all of 3 there, anyone know anywhere else to get them in the city? They used to be something you'd easily get in pound shops and supermarkets like tesco etc. Anyone know of somewhere that definitely has them at the moment? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Theres a place on Cork street called Plantlife- havent been there in a long time- looks like its opened to the public since and might be worth a look.

http://www.plantlife.ie/index.php

Think IKEA in ballymun have some too at the moment in their plant section. :)

muckyhands wrote: »
    Theres a place on Cork street called Plantlife- havent been there in a long time- looks like its opened to the public since and might be worth a look.

I was on my way down to that place but came across 'indoor plants' on the way.

http://www.indoorplants.ie/index.php

Loads of cactii there so I picked up a few bits today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

muckyhands wrote: »

+1 they have a good selection for a small premises, and are very friendly.

Must pop in for a look, I wonder has it changed much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lidl also have some Cactus in at the moment.

Happened top see them on sale yesterday in my local Lidl.

I also saw some nice small cactii in tesco in phibsboro at the moment, typical eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Homebase in Rathfarnham always have a decent selection.

Does anywhere know where'd I'd pick up a large enough (say 2 foot diameter) planting pot for cacti? Preferable a shallow one, perhaps 5-6 inch depth.

18AD wrote: »
    Homebase in Rathfarnham always have a decent selection.

Does anywhere know where'd I'd pick up a large enough (say 2 foot diameter) planting pot for cacti? Preferable a shallow one, perhaps 5-6 inch depth.

'indoor plants' had a lot of planting pots but I'm not sure there was anything as big as that, maybe a quick phone call to them would give you a proper answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Orchard nursery beside Rathfarnham shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Is there anywhere in the city I can buy already potted cactus plants,

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

ronn wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in the city I can buy already potted cactus plants,

Yes, there is a nursery in Saggart with a variety of cactus and other succulent plants. Run by Michael Harrington. Link here to the Irish Cactus Society with his contact details.

http://www.irelandcactus.com/links.htm

Advertisement