Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family tree research strategy

Options
  • 17-09-2009 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having read the stickies and a few bits and pieces here, myself, my sister and mother are ready to get going on the family tree research.

Im wondering if anyone here has any tips on running a project when theres a few people involved. I've started a myheritage.com site and given them the logins for that. I've downloaded the myheritage software just to get things going.

Whats the best way to set this up so that we can all add any info we can find and collate it? We live in different counties so it cant always do it over a coffee.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi Trotter,

I haven't used the myheritage site myself so I just have a few general pointers. The internet is the best way for you all to be able to add bits into the tree. I suggest when someone amends the tree, they mail the other people involved so the others know what's changed and why. Make sure you're happy with the privacy aspect before you put up personal information about living people and even then, I'd keep it to a minimum.

Finally, make sure you're happy with the research that the others are doing - i.e. don't let someone who is a relation but maybe you don't know well amend the tree. It happens a lot on places like geni.com that people who are related will take any name that fits and add it to the tree even when there's contrary evidence. This might sound paranoid but I guess that's just the way I've been taught - be able to back up your research.

Aside point, love the photos of all the management team as kids as well as adults on myheritage!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for the tips. Is there an alternative to myheritage.com that you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Trotter,

We are well down the road on the family tree. We started off myheritage but ran into problems when we had circa 500 names on the tree. We would have to pay to add more and we had a lot of names to add.

We moved the entire thing over to geni.com and continue to use it today. Each of us have an account and we each investigated a family and at the end were able to merge records. I find it much friendlier than myheritage.

Good luck with the search - it's good fun.

D

Dummy wrote: »
    Trotter,

We are well down the road on the family tree. We started off myheritage but ran into problems when we had circa 500 names on the tree. We would have to pay to add more and we had a lot of names to add.

We moved the entire thing over to geni.com and continue to use it today. Each of us have an account and we each investigated a family and at the end were able to merge records. I find it much friendlier than myheritage.

Good luck with the search - it's good fun.

D

Is there a way to keep Geni private? I know the other side of my family (cousins) have a huge Geni project going and I'm not sure I'd like all of my other side of the family's details available to everyone on both sides if ya get me.

Afaik, there's not a way to do that on geni.com and once your tree is linked into other people's, you cannot delete it.

I think a lot of these type sites make you pay once you're over a certain amount.

You could always set up your own site if you are handy enough online.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Linus67

MyHeritage is a good site but you have to pay when your tree reaches a certain number and also if you upload too many photo's. You are only allowed a certain amount of storage with the free and Premium plan.

Here is a good site -
    http://www.genesreunited.co.uk

And if you haven't already, you can start searching the 1911 Census on the National Archives website for free.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Linus67 wrote: »

And if you haven't already, you can start searching the 1911 Census on the National Archives website for free.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Myself and my Grandad scoured the census site today and found out loads! Its brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Karst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I use MyHeritage myself and so far I'm on the free version. Could I suggest that you nominate yourself as the manager and the other researchers email you any details that need to be added to MyHeritage. When you publish, they can see if you have put put the details correctly.

Genes reunited also makes you pay for full functionality. I had it for a while and found the level of people asking to see my tree because there was a name they had in common (without noting I was in Ireland) was high.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement