Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Cables

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hey check this out http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests
    If your going to fit a cable longer then 5 meters your better off getting the best quality cable and especially if you looking at boxing it in.
    Personnally I would pay for a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Can't go wrong for the €15, as it's not too much of a costly mistake if it doesn't work.

This reminds me to finish my draft for the Ritz's cable sticky, but as a sneak peek for my piece of advice that will hopefully be in that:
    HDMI is not just Digital, and the length that you are going is tending towards the limit of where budget cables fail.

You may find that there might be brief interruptions in the image/audio or find some other interesting digital effects. Also, the plugs may not be as secure as a more expensive one - that is a problem I had with one.

In any case, Your Mileage May Vary...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

the lads above have pretty much said it all. As you approach 10 metres and above you need to pay a bit more attention to what you are getting and even more so if you are embedding the cable in walls or floorboards. At least get one that is 'certified' for 1.3a even though current Blu-Ray material only uses half the max speed of the 1.3 spec. Best to future proof for when the resolutions and framerates eventually increase. This is when long cheap HDMI cables will start to fail. Ironically it's not the the actual video/data lines that will fail, but the HDCP signals are in poor shape at the end of a very long cable. Reason being that they are usually not equalised at the reciever whereas the video/data lines are.

There is a solution though even if you have long HDMI cable that starts to give trouble. You can buy an active equaliser that plugs onto the end of you cable which in lay mans terms boosts the HDMI signals. Some HDMI cables actually have one of these active chips embedded in the plug at the receiver end. So the cable in this case is directional.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

The other option is HDMI "balums" on the end of two cat5e/cat6 cables.
    Cheaper , not video perfect, but easer to future proof (See my sig)

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

HDMI cable quality discussed here. Try not spend any more than you need to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement