Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia 2010...travel & work...good idea ?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

I joined boards to research taking off next year/2010 ...

Wat with this recession (crap) i am wondering if it is wise to give up my secure IT job (bored of it now anyway:)), and head travellin for at least a year. Australia is the obvious choice.

So anyone living/travelling out there reckon this is wise, i.e. wud i be able to find the work to support my travellin ???

work (in preference) = contract IT work, odd jobs, fruit picking ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Free bump

I'm in the same boat. Secure IT job here too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The_Edge wrote: »
    Free bump

I'm in the same boat. Secure IT job here too

Have a look in the industry sticky. I did the same thing but left last year, and came to NZ. Thing is though I came before the **** hit the fan and everybody else decided to head off and do the same thing. Early bird.....

Anyway do it if you want but it may not work out. Best to just travel and not be too bothered about work. Also if you want to travel there are plenty of other options that are just as good. South East Asia is quite cheap can spend months there for next to nothing. South America is another option.

Why do you want to go to OZ I suppose is the question you have to ask yourself. If its to find yourself then get another plan. If its to get drunk in bondi every night of the week than thats fine too but IMO a big waste of time never mind money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Unless you actually want to live in Australia I see this as piontless.

A good secure job has a huge value in Ireland at present. Personnally I would just plan a really big Holiday, get as much time off work as you can and go nuts on a world ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Why don't you save 2k Euro and emmigrate? I did, I now have slightly less pay (QLD Government job) but more money in my pocket at the end of the month because the cost of living is so cheap.

To be honest, I don't think I ever want to come back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Escapism...

jank wrote: »
    Have a look in the industry sticky. I did the same thing but left last year, and came to NZ. Thing is though I came before the **** hit the fan and everybody else decided to head off and do the same thing. Early bird.....

Anyway do it if you want but it may not work out. Best to just travel and not be too bothered about work. Also if you want to travel there are plenty of other options that are just as good. South East Asia is quite cheap can spend months there for next to nothing. South America is another option.

Why do you want to go to OZ I suppose is the question you have to ask yourself. If its to find yourself then get another plan. If its to get drunk in bondi every night of the week than thats fine too but IMO a big waste of time never mind money.

Nah i aint going to OZ to get drunk! Plan is travel for a few months before OZ (def asia amongst other places), Would also love to see argentina, bolivia and cuba!
    Finally hit OZ.... but by then my funds will be low, hence some work needed...

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Unless you actually want to live in Australia I see this as piontless.

A good secure job has a huge value in Ireland at present. Personnally I would just plan a really big Holiday, get as much time off work as you can and go nuts on a world ticket.

Yeah giving up the secure job is a tough decision...but i believe it'll be worth it.

I wana see Australia. I've actually had Oz in my head for 5 years before i even knew anyone going there... so its not that im just jumping on the bandwagon.

My company doesnt do career breaks so all i can get off would be 3 - 4 weeks which isnt enough:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

layke wrote: »
    Why don't you save 2k Euro and emmigrate? I did, I now have slightly less pay (QLD Government job) but more money in my pocket at the end of the month because the cost of living is so cheap.

To be honest, I don't think I ever want to come back to Ireland.

2K would get ya flights and visa and a few quid left over.

You could be waiting months for a job and need to pay rent.

I'd say more likely 5K to give you breathing space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Sorry let me explain this a bi further, the cost to emmigrate is $2500 for the application alone, plus another $400 to have your IT skills assessed by the ACS.

Meaning it will cost about 1.5-2000 euro to apply. When the app goes in you need to save up E25000 (or $5000.00) to actually enter the country (not that it's checked).

If you guys are going to do it, do it now eventually things are going to tighten up here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yeah giving up the secure job is a tough decision...but i believe it'll be worth it.

I wana see Australia. I've actually had Oz in my head for 5 years before i even knew anyone going there... so its not that im just jumping on the bandwagon.

My company doesnt do career breaks so all i can get off would be 3 - 4 weeks which isnt enough:(.

That bandwagon has been around for the last 15 years tbh, it is not a new thing. 3-4 weeks is not enough time. It is a tough one!

layke wrote: »
    Sorry let me explain this a bi further, the cost to emmigrate is $2500 for the application alone, plus another $400 to have your IT skills assessed by the ACS.

Meaning it will cost about 1.5-2000 euro to apply. When the app goes in you need to save up E25000 (or $5000.00) to actually enter the country (not that it's checked).

If you guys are going to do it, do it now eventually things are going to tighten up here.

so for the sake of this thread lets forget about the round the world trip(il start a new one for that) and concentrate on gettin to Oz...

so above u are describing the 1 year working visa ??
    and for this i need e2500 in my bank account before i enter the country. e400 for my IT skills to be accessed(never heard of this part before).

all i pretty much need then is flight and visa and im there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

e400 for my IT skills to be accessed

This is just if you're going down the permanent residency route. If you're applying for skilled migration you'll have to have your IT skills assessed by the ACS before they'll consider you.

If you're just after the one-year WHV then you've no need to worry about this. For the WHV you'll technically need about $5000 in your account on the way in to the country, although this is pretty rarely checked, and after that it's just the visa and the flight to get here!

Advertisement