Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Serum

Options
  • 17-09-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Is it still used in medical situations, and if so, what for?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

antivenoms are derived from it - but we do not use horse serum for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thank you very much for the information. Its very helpful.

And apologies for the delay in acknowledging you - I was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

shhhhhlurp

• Registered Users Posts: 12 budgie1984

think it is, i received in back in 93,94 for an autoimmune disorder, it was referred to as A.T.G

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

budgie1984 wrote: »
    think it is, i received in back in 93,94 for an autoimmune disorder, it was referred to as A.T.G

I think most of the ATG currently in clinical use (e.g. for organ transplant immunosuppression) is now rabbit-derived, at least in my experience. I'm not aware of any products using horse serum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Some more questions if you don't mind please...

(a) If a person in their 30s/40s was deemed to be allergic to anti tetanus because they were allergic to horse serum (which appears to have been the basis of the anti tetanus up to the 1970s or so), then is it possible they are no longer allergic to the anti tetanus vaccine?

(b) If a person is allergic to horse serum and horse serum is used in the manufacture of anti-venoms, then are there alternatives to treat those with the aforementioned allergies or do they just lie down and let nature take its course, should something unpleasant happen?? ;)

Thanks everyone so far, its been an interesting discussion.

Advertisement