Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole in the canaries

Options
  • 17-09-2009 2:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27

Hello all,
    Can any one tell me , if ur receiving state benefit in Ireland can u go abroad , say to the canaries and receive benefit there , either from Ireland or Spain ?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

paulus837 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Can any one tell me , if ur receiving state benefit in Ireland can u go abroad , say to the canaries and receive benefit there , either from Ireland or Spain ?
    Thanks
    are you going to live in the Canaries?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 paulus837

Yes Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Yes Thomas
    you can only claim Social Welfare from the country you reside in(Spain).more than likely you won't get anything near what you'd get here.Why don't you look for work in the canaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 topdog86

You can. A friend of mine did it. There's going to be a crackdown on this sort of thing in the future though even though it's a well kept secret.

If you are moving within the EU, you may transfer social insurance-based payments (such as Unemployment Benfit) from Ireland to the other country. Unemployment Benefit may be transferred to another member state for up to 13 weeks if you are seeking work there. Before you can transfer this payment however, you have to qualify for Unemployment Benefit in Ireland. This means having the appropriate number (and Class) of social insurance contriubutions, etc.

If you've claimed UB in Ireland for less than 4 weeks prior to your departure, you may still be allowed to transfer your payment if you get a letter in writing from FAS saying you're unlikely to secure full-time work here in the future.

I'd suggest getting in touch with your local social welfare office to check your contributions and your entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Maybe u can try get it from both countries? :mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks topdog , yes QWERTY I mite just do that, thanks for given me that brilliant idea :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Qwerty27 and paulus837, I assume the two of you are being facetious which is why I haven't given you the automatic ban that suggesting fraud earns here.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

My point is how can some one claim the dole from one country while living in another? Wasnt trying to be funny, just trying to make a point of what a crazy situation this is and how it is yet more expense to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Yes Thomas

they probably don't have a Capuchin centre in the Canaries so you'll miss out on your free grub.

they probably don't have a Capuchin centre in the Canaries so you'll miss out on your free grub.

"Capuchin centre " I dont like coffee :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

1. You cannot move to the Canaries and receive Unemployment benefit from the Irish state.

2. You can however claim from the Spannish government

3. Adios, if only another 250,000 went with you then Ireland would be on the road to recovery.

* not critising anyone on the scratcher..... 99% of ye's need and deserve state help in this time of crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

1. You cannot move to the Canaries and receive Unemployment benefit from the Irish state.

2. You can however claim from the Spannish government

3. Adios, if only another 250,000 went with you then Ireland would be on the road to recovery.

* not critising anyone on the scratcher..... 99% of ye's need and deserve state help in this time of crisis

the irony is probably lost on some people - OP wants to move to the Canaries and claim dole while lying on a beach, while the Canaries has a massive problem with desperate African refugees washing up dead on their beaches after trying to get into the EU for the chance to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

So, let's say you do go abroad for the 13-weeks to Canaries/Spain, Germany, Poland, France, Latvia, Malta etc.
    After that what happens? Does it get cut-off from over here leaving you high & dry over there?
    I'm presuming say Maltas' Social Welfare Policy differs to Latvias' to Irelands etc. I.e., your' stamps might've qualified you for JB over here but when you go over there, you mightn't qualify for anything or your' payment might be extremely delayed until you can prove some ties or some sort of citizenship/residency etc.?
    Or, could you just come back after 13-weeks abroad & continue to claim here, & go back again for another 13 after a week or two or collecting & continue the cycle until state-benefits are stopped, reduced, cut-off etc. or you get a job etc.
    If it was a once-off opportunity, then fair-enough but Janey-Mack if it was a thing you could in theory repeat ad-nauseum, then yeh it'd be open to abuse or manipulation.
    As for fraud being comitted, there's always ways & means & maybe, just maybe the people who are up in arms are like myself unable to take advantage due to not getting payments electronicaly since they were stopped for NEW APPLICANTS in August 2008?
    I personally know somebody who is Irish & flies back in one-time a month in or around the due-date, say a day before, signs-on next day & leaves on a red-eye flight morning after. No chance of getting caught & I've yet to hear of an inspector calling-around with at least 2 people at this persons' address on benefits. No wonder people get away with it. That person has been on benefits since Pre August 2008 & so gets paid in to the bank. Why when the payments were being made manualy from August 2008 for NEW APPLICANTS were they not applied retrospectively across the board?
    Would've stopped Welfare Fraud & Abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I personally know somebody who is Irish & flies back in one-time a month in or around the due-date, say a day before, signs-on next day & leaves on a red-eye flight morning after. No chance of getting caught & I've yet to hear of an inspector calling-around with at least 2 people at this persons' address on benefits. No wonder people get away with it. That person has been on benefits since Pre August 2008 & so gets paid in to the bank. Why when the payments were being made manualy from August 2008 for NEW APPLICANTS were they not applied retrospectively across the board?

Rat on the fuckers.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

So, let's say you do go abroad for the 13-weeks to Canaries/Spain, Germany, Poland, France, Latvia, Malta etc.
    After that what happens? Does it get cut-off from over here leaving you high & dry over there?
    If you come back to Ireland within the 78 days (13 weeks excluding sundays), you can continue on with the rest of your claim until it expires, then you would have to apply for the means tested Jobseekers Allowance in Ireland.f you stay beyond the 78 days you then enter into the system of the country you went to e.g. Poland/ Spain and would have to apply for whatever benefits are on offer there
    I'm presuming say Maltas' Social Welfare Policy differs to Latvias' to Irelands etc. I.e., your' stamps might've qualified you for JB over here but when you go over there, you mightn't qualify for anything or your' payment might be extremely delayed until you can prove some ties or some sort of citizenship/residency etc.?
    No both are the same. It is Irish UB that gets transferred out, but to EU Member States only.
    Or, could you just come back after 13-weeks abroad & continue to claim here, & go back again for another 13 after a week or two or collecting & continue the cycle until state-benefits are stopped, reduced, cut-off etc. or you get a job etc.
    No, you couldn't do this indefinitely as your Unemployment Benefit would run out eventually and Jobseekers Allowance is non transferrable. Whatever county you are in when your JB runs out and you go onto JA that is the country where you will make the claim from then.
    If it was a once-off opportunity, then fair-enough but Janey-Mack if it was a thing you could in theory repeat ad-nauseum, then yeh it'd be open to abuse or manipulation.
    Well, it can be looked at two ways. People have paid their Prsi/insurance which means they are entitled to this benefit, regardless of where they are living or where they are from. It might be better than people aren't staying in Ireland 'forever' and claiming JA. Alternatively, it is a pity that JB is being paid out and not spent in the Irish State.
    As for fraud being comitted, there's always ways & means & maybe, just maybe the people who are up in arms are like myself unable to take advantage due to not getting payments electronicaly since they were stopped for NEW APPLICANTS in August 2008?
    Have tried to answer your questions as best as possible (and hope the quotes aren't all jumbled up!?). BTW some countries have reimbursement with Ireland, not sure which countries to be exact and the Irish system gets the transferred money back from them. Other countries don't have any reimbursement.

Advertisement