Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMS integration in existing website

Options
  • 17-09-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, i've got a website (HTML/CSS) running at the moment, currently I'm having to update the site through dreamweaver/ftp software. I'm thinking of getting a content management system to handle updating information quicker for more regular basis, as I've worked on some other sites who have some really good ones, and it just makes the whole thing much handier.

Joomla is getting some good reviews, is it easy to install it for an already existing site?

If so, any tips?

And if not, any that can or any ideas on how i can more easily update things?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Hi Coconut,

I use Drupal a lot, have not used Joomla to date. Took me a while to get a handle on Drupal but now I can't live without it, makes life so much easier.

Being able to update websites from anywhere in the world is great.

Downside for me is making a site look exactly the way you want it. Takes a bit of learning how to use the theming system which I have not really fully got my head around.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

Depending on your experience and requirements, CMS Made Simple may fit the bill.

In my opinion it's a bit easier to install and theme than Drupal, which is more powerful but has a steeper learning curve.

Here's a demo video on converting a css/htlm site into a cmsms theme. It's an older release of cmsms, but if anything it's gotten easier to work with.

If it's only text changes you want to make there's always Cushy CMS, but if you're going to go through the hassle, I'd recommend something more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coconut2674

Hi guys, drupal i've heard about and seen good reviews, and cms made simple i've seen too - are they easy to work into an already existing site? I don't mind the work too much, but just for choosing which one to go with.

Thanks for your advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 StuartC

Depends on what you want to constantly update, if its just text id use cushyCms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Hi guys, drupal i've heard about and seen good reviews, and cms made simple i've seen too - are they easy to work into an already existing site? I don't mind the work too much, but just for choosing which one to go with.

Thanks for your advice!
    Coconut, with Drupal you'd be starting with a new drupal site and would aim to make it look like the current site, bit of work involved in that. My first week of using Drupal was really confusing, mainly because I had preconceptions as to how I thought it would work.

Lots of videos out there on getting used to it and learning it. It's the only CMS I have a good deal of experience with at this stage so I can't advise you on any of the others. Just be prepared to put in the ground work in learning it though, it will pay off.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

It's really pretty easy to do in cmsms.

As the video I posted above shows you would copy most of your css into a stylesheet in cmsms, with the exception of the menu associated styles which would need to be transferred into a stylesheet associated with the menu/menu template.

You then create the page template by copying the code from the page you want to match, removing the content and adding the {content} smarty tag where you want your editable content to go.

Watch the video I linked above, a small site could be completely transferred into cmsms in under an hour including install time.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

Hi Coconut,

I use Drupal a lot, have not used Joomla to date. Took me a while to get a handle on Drupal but now I can't live without it, makes life so much easier.

Being able to update websites from anywhere in the world is great.

Downside for me is making a site look exactly the way you want it. Takes a bit of learning how to use the theming system which I have not really fully got my head around.

Nick

hi - using drupal myself i find it good was wondering do u have problems browsin for images - im using tinymce

Advertisement