Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining Ambulance Service

Options
  • 17-09-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hello, First post here, and apologies if the questions I'm asking have been covered already, but I don't seem to find them here.

Anyway, After months of thought I've decided to try and join the ambulance service as a EMT/Paramedic.

The plan is:
    1. Occupational First Aid Course (Starting next week)
    2. Join voluntary service like order of malta/red cross.
    Assuming they go well
    3. C1 & D1 license
    4. Apply for ambulance service.

So the questions,
    A. Would this be the right/correct course to follow ? Or any other course I could do?
    B. Does anyone know when the next round of applications for EMT will be? Or were I might find out?
    C. Would there be a problem if you were an asthmatic?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

L8rdude wrote: »
    Hello, First post here, and apologies if the questions I'm asking have been covered already, but I don't seem to find them here.

Anyway, After months of thought I've decided to try and join the ambulance service as a EMT/Paramedic.

The plan is:
    Assuming they go well
    3. C1 & D1 license

So the questions,
    A. Would this be the right/correct course to follow ? Or any other course I could do?
    B. Does anyone know when the next round of applications for EMT will be? Or were I might find out?

Thanks in advance.

Look in the main ES forum, alot of questions being answered there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

L8rdude wrote: »

The plan is:
    Assuming they go well
    3. C1 & D1 license

So the questions,

Thanks in advance.

I would advise you to apply and get the the C1 & D1 driving licences first. It may take you six months or more for this, so don't delay. Joining a voluntary service in the mean time and getting some training and experience with equipment and patient handling is a good idea, you can do all PHECC levels up to EMT in the private/voluntary sector. It's certainly worth it. The HSE recruit for Trainee EMT-Paramedics about once a year. The last one was in February '09 and they are advertised on the careersinhealth.ie website. Keep a close eye on it under emergency services. The recruitment drive involves a verbal reasoning exam & a spatial analysis exam. The top 200 or so are then called for interview. An application pack has to be filled out now. The high scorers in the interview get placed on a panel. The panel formed from Feb' '09 is still going. 24 people have been taken forward and should be starting soon. I don't know the total number on the panel. When this panel is nearly exhausted another recruitment campaign may go ahead. Go to your local ambulance station and have a chat with the crews. I found them very helpful and informative when I applied. I don't know about the asthma though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kav2107

Can be hard to find to find somewhere to do C1 licence, depends where you are, so you might have to do the C licence. Do the C Licence first and the D1 will be easy!

Do the CFR and EFR and if you are really serious do the EMT course aswell. Costs 2500 in the Irish Ambuance Training Institute in Parkmore, Galway. Really good course they also do the first two courses. No harm to do a conflict management and Hazchem course aswell. Looks good on the C.V.

Look up the Phecc.ie website and get to know the medications and all the CPGs.
    The book Ross and Wilsons Anatomy and Physiology is a must aswell.

Get talking to local EMTs and Paramedics is really important.

Now unless you want me to take the test and interview for you I can do no more! :)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

MN_Medic wrote: »
    they are advertised on the careersinhealth.ie website

They are advertised generally on www.publicjobs.ie, under the Emergency Services heading. You can subscribe to be notified about new advertisements in this category when you register with publicjobs.ie.
    Kav2107 wrote: »
    if you are really serious do the EMT course aswell. Costs 2500

this isn't particularly necessary and won't necessarily increase your chances of getting the position. I know a few EMTs who didn't panel last time around. Think long and hard before spending this kind of money first.
    Hazchem course as well.

You don't need to be Hazchem trained, would be better off spending the money on something relevant such as CFR/EFR training, pre-aptitude and interview courses etc.
    Look up the Phecc.ie website and get to know the medications and all the CPGs.

This is more relevant if you panel, I wouldn't worry about knowing the CPGs or medications for the application and interview stage.

The book Ross and Wilsons Anatomy and Physiology is a must as well.

Again, more relevant if you panel. Will also be issued to you as part of your training.
    Get talking to local EMTs and Paramedics is really important.

Totally agree with this, get to know more about the job...it's not as glamorous as some people think!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

Thanks a mill for the answers posters. That pretty much answers my queries.

Sounds like I better get my skates on :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs

Your priority should be you licences as you wont even get a call to apptitude tests with out them.
    Everything else is a bonus. Definately EMT course worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

"Can be hard to find to find somewhere to do C1 licence, depends where you are, so you might have to do the C licence. Do the C Licence first and the D1 will be easy!"

I booked my D1 test before organising lessons only to find out that most companies down my way don't do D1 lessons any more!! The RSA will allow you the sit the D test even though you have applied for the D1 because the tests are the same i.e. same routesand time. This is also the same with the C1 so i ended up doing the D & C test and passed, they actually aren't that bad plus the tests and the lessons cost the same and passing the D & C you get your C1 & D1 anyways....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Personally I tink the focus on being a member of a voluntary organisation is a pharce and it doesent put you at any extra advantage in the recruitment stage. If anything, the voluntaries teach you bad habits and ways of doing things that will be harder to break in the later stages of your training.

Wudn't exactly agree with your statement there been part of a voluntary org does give you an advantage as you are out there dealing with people with various injuries through out your varied duties.. As for voluntaries teaching you bad habits I don't think the instructors in my organisation would like to hear you say that as they are qualified paramedics as is the case with most of the vols around the country they range frm trainees like yourself, emts on privates, paramedics, AP'S to primary care doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I agree, having experience in a voluntary is an advantage especially concerning experience dealing with patients etc. I've certainly never learned bad habits from the vol I'm in, because if I had I would have been pulled aside and re-taught. Quite a few high up PHECC and NAS/DFB people trained us. Your comment is quite offensive.

Regardless, the sooner the national ambulance service move to requiring degree level training, the better, like they are moving towards in the UK. Set up paramedic degree courses and have a 4 year Paramedic Science degree a requirement for joining.

Advertisement