Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in November

Options
  • 17-09-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

A couple of pals and myself are planning on going to Lahinch in early November for a weekend of learner surfing.

Having never surfed before, what are peoples opinion on going at that time of year? Far too cold? Just fine with a wet suit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

Depends what your tolerance levels are. Water is gonna be pretty fresh in november. Water is never unsurfable though, maybe thats just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

first year for me surfing in the winter here in ireland

i can't tolerate much of cold water so i'd say it won't be the greatest winter ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abcjonesy

KJF wrote: »
    A couple of pals and myself are planning on going to Lahinch in early November for a weekend of learner surfing.

Having never surfed before, what are peoples opinion on going at that time of year? Far too cold? Just fine with a wet suit?

Surfed that time last year. I had booties,gloves and was grand. Had to get out because of tiredness rather than temperature. My wetsuit is 5/4/3 (5mm torso) Bit of brainfreeze for the first few mins without a hood. most people had hoods on that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am softie, sissy and comfortable person. You have to survive the first wave that goes over your head and fills the wetsuit. It's grand afterwards.
    By the way, if there is wind, get a hoodie - helps a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

water temperature in november is the same as may/june. The water gets a hell of alot colder, try a cold day in feb, now thats winter surfing.

If you're getting lessons you'll be fine, they have all the gear. You should be fine, even if you do get cold easily. Even if you do have a chill by the end of it, it makes the pints in the pub sitting by a fire all the more rewarding and delicious. I'd highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Have to agree with whynotwhycanti, temps in feb are much much colder than nov.
    Theres a thread on tips for the winter cold from a few weeks back, thermos with hot choc/soup/tea etc. I'm too lazy to search for it and link to it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Great. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You'll be fine. Its never too cold :) You'll forget about it after 30 seconds. Until you get back to the car and have to change. That's the horrible part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

leave the suit and boots on until you get down to the pub i say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

cornbb wrote: »
    You'll be fine. Its never too cold :) You'll forget about it after 30 seconds. Until you get back to the car and have to change. That's the horrible part...

Or forgetting to wash and dry your suit and havin to put it on cold... That has to be one of the least enjoyable sensations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

as long as its cold and really wet nothing beats that feeling pulling the suit up on a cold january day. wincing thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Dont worry bout the water temp, first 5 mins while the suit is getting wet and heating are the worst, after that you wont notice it really.

Jan - March usually coldest for the water, usually only wear gloves and hood then, prob end up having to pull the hood down then cause gets too warm....its generally trying to find a sheltered place to De-Suit is the main problem with the rain and wind pelting you!

Advertisement