Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I qualify for BTEA?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I've just started a third level course (Fetac level 5)and for the past few years have been signing for credits. I was made redundant a few years ago and received Unemployment Benefit for a while until it became means tested. Since then they switched me to credits. During that time I did a full time FAS course for 6 months. I haven't worked/trained or claimed UB/UA in the past 2 year period. However when I went to inform SW that I was doing this course they gave me the BTEA application form to fill in to allow me continue to sign for credits.

However when I looked up the details on www.welfare.ie it appears I might be entitled to it. I have small children in primary school and have to organise childcare to do the course. My other half is working full time. My question is do you you think I qualify for BTEA? Is it means tested? If not is there any other allowance I can claim for - VEC grant or a 'Millennium' grant which I've just heard about.

One thing I noticed on the SW leaflet is that people with post graduate qualifications do not apply for BTEA. I have a post grad qual in a completely different field to my current studies. I really want to change my career path now. Does this disqualify me?

Thanks for any advice.

Louise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

With a case as complicated as that Id go and apply down the SW, nobody is going to have a similar experience as that, not least because you have a Postgrad already!

chances are any advice you get here will be misleading, just go down the SW and explain and ask them, you want to talk to the BTEA officer say.

Advertisement