Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects to pick?!?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

At the moment, I'm at a stage where I have picked my subjects but could change them if I wanted to with relative ease...

I'm fairly unsure about some subjects and would just like some advice on whether to do one subject or drop it. Bear in mind I'm fairly maths-inclined eg Physics, applied maths etc..

at present I'm doing;
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Business
    Physics
    Geography
    Biology
    Applied Maths (possibility :confused: )

all higher level, just wondering whether people think these are good choices, good combinations and the like...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, my own view would be that 9 subjects is too many, and you're only spreading yourself too thinly.

You can only count 6 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You must be a glutton for punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 --hughesy--

and you're only spreading yourself too thinly.

Care to elaborate on that??? :confused: much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

He means that if you had less subject (7 perhaps) you'd have more time to study them, because you'd have less subjects to study. This essentially means you'll be able to put more time into a smaller amount of subjects and hopefully get better grades. However, that's his opinion, it's up to you.

What should influence your subject choice is college course, your interests, your academic strenghts and weaknesses and to a lesser extent your JC results (for example, if you failed JC honours maths, perhaps LC honours maths isn't for you). To give you some advice, you'd need to answer these questions and tell us your choices.

Let me.

You see, it's an analogy to, say, spreading a fine jam upon a slice of warm, crispy toast. Now, the jam is analogous to your time, and as you can probably tell it's a fixed amount. The size of the slice of toast is correspondent to the number of subjects which you wish to undertake.

Now, if we join the two said analogies together, to unify them, if you will, we will get to the crux behind randy's exquisite analogy. If you undertake too many subjects, the jam of your time--which is a fixed amount, remember--will have to be spread over a larger area, hence, giving a thin covering. You might ask what this means? Well, the thin covering is analogous to how well you've covered each of your individual subjects. More subjects = less time for individual subjects, and hence the probability of receiving a lower final grade. Less subjects = more time, thus a greater chance of receiving that much coveted A1.

I hope I've helped.

(Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm doped up on meds to get rid of this God damned swine flu).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jumpguy wrote: »
    He means that if you had less subject (7 perhaps) you'd have more time to study them, because you'd have less subjects to study. This essentially means you'll be able to put more time into a smaller amount of subjects and hopefully get better grades. However, that's his opinion, it's up to you.
    What he said! ^^

:)
    (Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm doped up on meds to get rid of this God damned swine flu).
    Jaysus, Jammy, could you not have asked them for ones that gave you hallucinations about naked nubile nymphs nibbling on your nob neck instead?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 --hughesy--

ok cheers for the advice, I'm probably going to drop Business as to be honest, it seems like waaaaaay too much effort. Going to take up Applied Maths instead.

I get what people are saying about doing too many, but Im aiming for a lot of points and am crap at both English and Irish so will need to do 8... so i guess its something Ill just learn to deal with :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whitefox

my advice is get rid of Physics! I have a friend who is doing it and she's unbelievable at Honors Maths and wants to go on to do a maths course in College, but she says doing Physics is the worst mistake she made- too much time and it's too complex..

As for dropping Business, it's actually quite straightforward and would take 1/2 the time Physics would, leaving you more time for other subjects

Only my opinion!

Jaysus, Jammy, could you not have asked them for ones that gave you hallucinations about naked nubile nymphs nibbling on your nob neck instead?! :D

I asked, but he was all out unfortunately... Next time though, I'm planning on getting the flu again just for those special meds!:pac:
    ok cheers for the advice, I'm probably going to drop Business as to be honest, it seems like waaaaaay too much effort. Going to take up Applied Maths instead.

Applied maths is a great choice, if you like physics and maths you'll love the subject. It's a brilliant subject.
    whitefox wrote: »
    my advice is get rid of Physics! I have a friend who is doing it and she's unbelievable at Honors Maths and wants to go on to do a maths course in College, but she says doing Physics is the worst mistake she made- too much time and it's too complex..

As for dropping Business, it's actually quite straightforward and would take 1/2 the time Physics would, leaving you more time for other subjects

Only my opinion!

Well, I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but your opinion is wrong. Physics is, relatively, easy. It's far from complex. I don't know how your friend, who is good at honours maths, could have such difficultly with physics.

Also, if you find physics difficult, don't take up applied maths. Applied maths is, basically, the mechanics section of the physics course in much greater detail. To put it another way: the mechanics section of the physics course (it's about 2/5 of the paper, i.e. a pass) is basically retarded applied maths.

I get what people are saying about doing too many, but Im aiming for a lot of points and am crap at both English and Irish so will need to do 8... so i guess its something Ill just learn to deal with :pac:
    It still matters. If you need honours English or Irish for your course, you'll need to work on them. If you're doing so many subjects then you'll have less time for this. It's up to you though! :)

Only my opinion!
    Physics is grand (okay, I'm only doing it 2 weeks). It's the most straightforward science subject out of physics, chemistry and biology. Chemistry doing emission spectrums, just that ****er of an atom in general. What're we doing in physics you ask? Mirrors. My only gripe is that our teacher is meh tbh....all he says is he's not explaining the maths because he's not a maths teacher. I would love to stand up and say to him to cop the **** on because a lot of physics is maths and stop being a prick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whitefox

Well, I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but your opinion is wrong. Physics is, relatively, easy. It's far from complex. I don't know how your friend, who is good at honours maths, could have such difficultly with physics.

What happened to noones opinion is wrong? Free thinking and all that jazz.... Well, I dont do physics myself but my friend is really amazing at maths (I'm talking never lower than 95%) and she really finds it tough to keep up with Physics

jumpguy wrote: »
    Physics is grand (okay, I'm only doing it 2 weeks). It's the most straightforward science subject out of physics, chemistry and biology.Chemistry doing emission spectrums, just that ****er of an atom in general. What're we doing in physics you ask? Mirrors. My only gripe is that our teacher is meh tbh....all he says is he's not explaining the maths because he's not a maths teacher. I would love to stand up and say to him to cop the **** on because a lot of physics is maths and stop being a prick.

Ah, so I see you're actually studying physics in chemistry class*?:p

Mirrors has to be the most boring part of the course, it's direfully dull.

*The sections of the chemistry course about the atom and nucleus etc. are really physics.
    What happened to noones opinion is wrong? Free thinking and all that jazz.... Well, I dont do physics myself but my friend is really amazing at maths (I'm talking never lower than 95%) and she really finds it tough to keep up with Physics

Well, I'd say her being good at maths while bad at physics is more of a reflection of her own abilities with regards to physics than it is a relative measure of its difficulty. In my year, students who did pass maths achieved high Bs in physics, and, conversely, students who achieved high grades in honours maths struggled to scrape a low C in physics. Because she's good at one doesn't mean she should automatically be good at the other (at least not at LC level).

And of course opinions can be wrong, saying they can't is just being polite!

Ah, so I see you're actually studying physics in chemistry class*?:p

Mirrors has to be the most boring part of the course, it's direfully dull.

*The sections of the chemistry course about the atom and nucleus etc. are really physics.
    Jesus, such a paradox in disguise! So hopefully in physics when we come to the atom I'll have an advantage from the chemistry.

Mirrors is the most exciting thing in physics! I've always wondered why convex mirrors can see around corners. How come a concave mirrors cause magnification when it gets closer, virtual and real images, m = v/u, 1/f=1/u+1/v . I've never been more dumbfounded in my life. The frustration of getting that fraction wrong and having to start again...oh the joys. Needless to say, all vain, anorexic teenage girls everywhere, I know how the center of your life works.

Please note mirrors are actually dull and the experiment to find the focal lenght of a concave mirror is a pain in the hole and my graph turned out completely shítways.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Do chemistry instead of Business or Geog! It's an epic subject. And applied maths has a really short course, it's pretty epic too.

Advertisement