Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance ques

Options
  • 16-09-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

My bro is off travelling around the world for my year. He has given me his car to use while he is gone. Ive just rang up for a quote and I need to have the car transferred to my name. Obviously he will need the car when he comes back so it will have to be transferred back again.

How do I go about it and is there any tax issues? (ie no money is changing hands). The car is 2003.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

just done this myself get the log book fill it out,bring it to your local tax office and bobs your uncle car is in your name!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

As the guy above me said, it's literally just the log book you need, fill in the details, sign it and send it off to Shannon, you'll get a new one back within 3 weeks or so and the car is yours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

does my brother not have to sign anything? Will my insurance be invalid until the log book comes back? Would it be easy to chnage back.

Thanks for answers so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Well, he has to sign the log book over, but that's literally just one signature, and that's it.

Oh, and you can drive while waiting for the log book, and insurance should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

The only down side is that you'll be adding two more previous owners to the cars history. Not a major concern though. No tax issues or anything like that, its just a simple change of ownership. Fill in the VLC (log book) and send it to Shannon.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement