Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me value a Toyota Yaris

Options
  • 16-09-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

I have a '00 Toyota Yaris 1.0 Terra to sell at the moment that has no NCT and is quite untidy but I'm sure would come up a treat with a polish. It has has a factory CD player and one of those rubbish aftermarket sunroofs that is unfortunately known to leak occasionally. It also has the advantage of being only 1 owner from new and a brand new engine installed recently which I'm sure has not done very much mileage at all since.

On carzone they are going for crazy money at the moment, with anything from 2-5 grand. I'm thinking I would need to be pitching this at the bottom given its overall scruffiness and lack of NCT. These are known to be very desirable cars on the used market so I'm thinking in the region of 1-1.5k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you're bang on with €1000-1500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The Luna, Sol are more desirable on account of them having body colour bumpers and better spec'd inside but I'd say €1500 would be easily possible especially if you compare it to a similar aged Polo or Ibiza. The factory CD on them was a pricey option and it's a pain in the hole to fit an aftermarket one so it should stand out from the crowd. The sunroof could be its achiles heal though and someone in the know might spot this, having said that you would be surprised how desirable a car can look with a touch of elbow grease and a nice coat of wax. I'd try to get it through the NCT before sale, would make a massive difference when selling especially at a cheap price. How many miles are on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd try to get it through the NCT before sale, would make a massive difference when selling especially at a cheap price.

I was thinking that myself but it seems to be a pain in the hole to get an NCT these days.
    How many miles are on it?

I don't have an exact figure but I'm told not very many. It hasn't been used much either since the new engine went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

I sold a 00 Yaris Luna 3dr with tax and NCT two weeks ago for 1750. Needed approx 250 worth of bodywork. Sold to a mechanic who wanted it for his sister. Had 81k miles.

I take it I must be in the right ballpark then as regard to pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,830 ✭✭✭✭unkel

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I take it I must be in the right ballpark then as regard to pricing.

Yeah, I agree with the others. That said, NCT it and valet it and it will sell for at least €500 more. Not even a tribunal solicitor sponger gravy train jumper expense ridin' Minister gets that for an hour of their time :D

NCT'd as of tonight. Now I'm going to give it a bit of a clean, slap three months tax on it, then probably stick it on DoneDeal. How much should I realistically be looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,133 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NCT'd as of tonight. Now I'm going to give it a bit of a clean, slap three months tax on it, then probably stick it on DoneDeal. How much should I realistically be looking?

These cars are popular. I reckon you could get €1800 for it with a fresh NCT and 3 months motor tax so I would start off by advertising it at €1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Don't give it a bit of a clean. Give it plenty of elbow grease. Do the whole shebang on it. Good wash and pay attention to the wheel arches. Dry it off and wax it and then polish it off to a shine. It makes a big difference and will look well for the photos for whatever site you are putting it on. First impressions do make a difference. Good luck with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,830 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yep I reckon bazz26 is right on the ballpark there. Thanks for the update VolvoMan and post back here when the car is sold!

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    These cars are popular. I reckon you could get €1800 for it with a fresh NCT and 3 months motor tax so I would start off by advertising it at €1995.

That's what I'm thinking, there couldn't be an easier car to sell at this time. It's just as mentioned above the fact that it has a leaky sunroof and the bodywork is a bit scruffy, which is leading me to think it will need to be priced a little more competitively.

With all that said, it does have good spec and a brand new engine has gone in less than a year or two ago. The mileage is also average for the year and size of the car at 43k.

steph1 wrote: »
    Don't give it a bit of a clean. Give it plenty of elbow grease. Do the whole shebang on it. Good wash and pay attention to the wheel arches. Dry it off and wax it and then polish it off to a shine. It makes a big difference and will look well for the photos for whatever site you are putting it on. First impressions do make a difference. Good luck with it. ;)

I was using the term 'bit of a clean' loosely.:D

Thanks by the way.
    unkel wrote: »
    Yep I reckon bazz26 is right on the ballpark there. Thanks for the update VolvoMan and post back here when the car is sold!

Will do, unkel. I hope it will meet my expectations of being a car that will be effortless to shift.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Hate to be asking people this but this thread piqued my interest!

I have a 00 Yaris 1.4 VVTi, has about 30,000km on the clock, NCT'd till next March (and I don't see any problem with renewal) and taxed until September next year.

What price range am I looking at if selling it? And what method is the best way to get the best value for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Had a leaking sunroof on 1 of my previous cars. It was a simple job to fix it just went into the hardware & got this Black Silicone & repaired the area where it was leaking. Make sure if your going to fix yourself keep it tidy :)

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Had a leaking sunroof on 1 of my previous cars. It was a simple job to fix it just went into the hardware & got this Black Silicone & repaired the area where it was leaking. Make sure if your going to fix yourself keep it tidy :)

That's what I'm planning on doing. Although, I don't really trust my DIY skills.

I may be interested in the Yaris, can you post pics?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I may be interested in the Yaris, can you post pics?

I will do when I get around to it. Would you mind waiting a couple of days?

not at all. whenever you're ready.

Here's a few photos for you now, Colm. I apologise for the delay, I know they could've been sooner.

100_5282.JPG
    100_5285.JPG
    100_5286.JPG
    100_5287.JPG
    100_5288.JPG

Advertisement