Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Kill an Ash Tree/Weed

Options
  • 16-09-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I've had Boston Ivy on the front of my house, and it seems to have been killed by an Ash plant which has rooted itself in the area where a hole was broken in the concrete (long before my time) to plant the Boston Ivy.

Every year (for at least the last 5 years). I try to kill the Ash. I've sprayed its leaves, painted cut ends with some chemical stuff I can't remember, even (when the Ivy was already clearly dead) poured petrol on its roots.

I'm now at a loss. It keeps growing back and its roots are directly under the front wall of the house. It must definitely be causing structural damage. How can I kill it once and for all?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Did you try pouring boiling water near the roots?, i have found this extremely useful in the killing of unwanted weeds.. they don't stand a chance.. but obviously it depends on how big they are!..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I don't think that would work in this case. This is somewhere between 5 and 7-8 years old - well established!

Another problem is that it doesn't have one central trunk, rather several shoots.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

drill a few holes in the lower trunk, fill with slightly diluted roundup, then just wait,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

old boy wrote: »
    drill a few holes in the lower trunk, fill with slightly diluted roundup, then just wait,
    Another trick here in the sticks is to substitute diesel for roundup in the process above.. works a treat.

Advertisement