Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to do college course before next september

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi im looking to do a college course in the coming months.
    I missed my chance to do a course this september and was wondering does anyone have any website or know of any courses that would be available to me to do now or in the next few months?

I dont want to wait until next september for me to do a course
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 A4

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

I missed my chance too this year so have to wait until next september. If you live near Bray you could try the b.i.f.e or any institute of further education as they would not be too strict like the cao with taking on people late and the courses would have only just started so you would not be too behind. If you are unlucky you could try an evening course which is what I am trying to look into myself. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 45 candysapple

is there a particular course stream you are interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What type of course would you be interested in doing? Where do you live?

UCD Adult Education centre have different evening courses run in September and again in the new year. http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/

Or like LaLucy said you could try some of the PLC courses and see if they would take you on a few weeks into the course.

I live in cork city
    To be honest i wouldnt mind doing anything but i would like it to be usefull.
    I wouldnt like to do something that teaches me skills that i know i would never use again
    I was supposed to do a phycology course but that fell through
    and i'd like to do something worthwhile this year.
    Maybe somthing to do with computers or something that i could use maybe careerwise if possible?
    Thanks for the replys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

Daytime or nighttime?
    There are lots of good plc courses and colleges around cork. I know it's a bit late for this year but you might still stand a chance of getting in if you gave them a ring.
    Alot of short courses or evening courses also have an intake in January, so it's always worth enquiring. UCC Centre for Adult Continuing Education have some interesting courses. So do CIT and the PLC colleges.
    A Short course might keep you interested in advancing your education and tide you over until next year.

Daytime preferably
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but whats a plc course?
    Yeah i wouldnt mind a short course to keep me busy
    Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

A4 wrote: »
    Daytime preferably
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but whats a plc course?
    Yeah i wouldnt mind a short course to keep me busy
    Thanks for the advice :)

Hi A4,

A PLC course is a post leaving cert course.[Note: You don't have to have done your leaving cert. A keen interest in tthe subject,and an interview can get you in.]

If you have finished your secondary education in Ireland and would like to develop vocational and technological skills in order to get a job or to go into further education and training, the Post-Leaving Certificate (PLC) course may be the one you are looking for. The PLC is often seen just as a course for school-leavers. In fact, you will be also welcomed as an adult participant.

PLC courses take place in schools, colleges and community education centres around the country. The courses are full-time and last for one to two years. They offer a mixture of "hands-on" practical work, academic work and work experience. They are designed as a step towards skilled employment and, as such, they are closely linked to industry and its needs. Post Leaving Certificate courses adopt an integrated approach, focusing on technical knowledge, core skills and work experience. Almost 50% of the time spent on these courses is devoted to knowledge and skill training related to employment, with a further 25% on relevant work-based experience.

Over 90% of PLC courses are delivered by VECs (vocational education committees). At present, over 1,000 courses are on offer in some 229 centres. A wide range of disciplines are covered including business, electronics engineering, computing, catering, sport and leisure, theatre and stage, performance art, art craft and design, equestrian studies, multi-media studies, journalism, tourism, marketing, childcare and community care, hairdressing and beauty care, applied science, horticulture etc. The Department of Education carries a list of PLC courses by county.

The qualification you receive at the end of your training will depend on the type of course you have chosen. Many of the one-year PLC courses offer Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC) accreditation at level 5, while other more advanced courses may offer FETAC level 6, which can lead to further studies at third level. Other qualifications such as City and Guilds are also available. It is important to check out the qualification attached to a particular course before you decide to enrol.

There's more info on Citizen's Information.IE

I find Qualifax an excellent site for searching for all courses in the country.
    Just enter your type(PLC) and your area,and you will get all courses available.

I'm new to all these things myself,and like you am hoping to get a PLC course.
    I'm still confused about whether I would get BTEA for college,after a plc though.:confused:(Check out my other thread)

Hope this helps.:)

Advertisement