Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We just launched our new Mad Dog Digital website, what ya think?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Like the look, but there's a few issues:

Javascript error on most pages - "Cufon is undefined"

Home Page's Next button under "LATEST WORK" doesn't work

I'd also change the text of "download form" to refer to the questionnaire that's mentioned in the previous paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dhayz2000

Quality site. How do you create the h2 tag font? Looks like sifr but isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

Thanks guys,
    The font thing is Cufon

See http://wiki.github.com/sorccu/cufon/about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Is that font impact? If so, that's a big no no.

Overall, it's got a lot of promise, but there's too much going on. Everything is trying to grab your attention so nothing does. Write down the goals of the site and then re-evaluate the design looking at those goals. Some things should be removed and others lowered in promenance.

Also, tighten up some of the alignment. The heading should be aligned to the body text below, not the outer box as it is now.

Overall, there's some good stuff in there, but details, typography and some more tighening could take it up a level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dhayz2000

p wrote: »

Why is that as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

p wrote: »

No sure what that means, maybe you just don't like it?

Thanks everyone. :)

dhayz2000 wrote: »
    Why is that as a matter of interest?
    davejacko wrote: »
    No sure what that means, maybe you just don't like it?
    If someone asks for a critique I always try to keep personal preference out of my response, so saying suggesting you don't use impact is a professional, subjective opinion, not a personal one.

Impact is a default font that comes with windows, as such it's always used by amateurs who are making posters & flyers and require a strong bold font. It's never used by professionals, it's a bit like all the default fonts, Comic Sans, Skia etc... although not quite so bad.

Impact doesn't hold up if you compare it to any commercial fonts families that have a bold condensed version. Just take a look at Helvetica Bold Condensed, or DIN. They're miles better.
    http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=434837
    http://www.fonts.com/FindFonts/Detail.htm?pid=4649563&/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=10255&query=DIN&SCOPE=Fonts

Are Helvetica and Times not pre-installed on windows as well, should we not use them? Its ok to not like the font but i don't agree that Impact or any fonts are off limits, only if you don't like them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some fonts are better suited for print or other media. I can't stand Times New Roman on a website, and would immediately think the designer is an amateur if I saw it. However, in print format it doesn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

+1 on eoin's comment; apart from the fact that Times looks ****e on-screen, the fact that it's also the default font for most browsers gives the impression that the "designer" (developer?) hasn't bothered to set a font.

• Advertisement

Are Helvetica and Times not pre-installed on windows as well, should we not use them?
    Helvetica isn't on PCs, and Arial is one of the few fonts we can use for body text on the web, I wouldn't really expect to see it in print though, since it's fairly inflexible due to not having varying weights. Times is a nice font for body text, but works very badly on the web.
    Its ok to not like the font but i don't agree that Impact or any fonts are off limits, only if you don't like them.
    As I said, it isn't my personal opinion about Impact, it's not a bad font, but it scream amateur(almost all professional designers would agree with me on this) and there's plenty of better, more versatile font families out there.

Proceed with caution.

Advertisement