Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recomend me the oil

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, my car is now due for a service (oil and oil filter change). The car is Mazda 6 04 with 1.8l engine.
    By the book this car uses 5w30 semi synthetic oil. Now I v always Castrol oil but it turns out that Castrol doesn't make 5w30 semi synthetic instead it only makes 5w30 full synthetic. I v been to quite a good few motor factors and the only ones they have that is 5w30 semi synthetic are brands that I never heard of.

So my question is can you recommend me a good brand and most of all good quality oil that would be close to Castrol brand in terms of quality?

And one more question, Mazda dealer sells their own 5w30 semi synthetic oil for around 50 euro, I think it s called Mazda Dexelia or something like that.
    Does anyone know is their oil any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

To be honest i doubt you can go to far wrong with buying it from the main dealer since that is what they would be putting in if you got it serviced with them anyway...

Failing that Maxol have a bottle of it info here.
    So if you can find a garage that stocks Maxol you should be fine.

EDIT: If you dont want to go for either, is there much harm in going fully synthetic instead semi synthetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

greenfly wrote: »
    To be honest i doubt you can go to far wrong with buying it from the main dealer since that is what they would be putting in if you got it serviced with them anyway...

Failing that Maxol have a bottle of it info here.
    So if you can find a garage that stocks Maxol you should be fine.

EDIT: If you dont want to go for either, is there much harm in going fully synthetic instead semi synthetic

I was thinking the same thing but last night I was reading some American forum where people who owned Mazda said that they would only use Mazda oil during the warranty time but after that they would switch to Castrol or Mobile1 for some reason.
    So that s what got me thinking is this Mazda oil any good.
    After I tried to think of some other well know brand but I coudnt think of any other except Castrol and Mobile1.

I dont know my self would there be much harm in going from semi synthetic to full synthetic,maybe someone can clarify that for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When it comes to oil, brand is not important. What is important is viscosity, ACEA and API specs and manufacturer specific standards.

The Castrol 5w30 fully synthetic will be fine if it meets (or exceeds) the specs that Mazda recommends.

Advertisement