Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port. rezoning

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

interesting.......

Councils still rezoning

Wednesday September 16 2009

Despite the glut of development land, local authorities are still engaging in rezonings. In recent days, both Laois and Louth County Councils have signalled their intentions to rezone lands on the edges of the towns of Portarlington and Dundalk.
    In Portarlington the rezoning will convert land zoned for residential to commercial development land and facilitate the development of a shopping centre development at Cooltederry, an area of the town where Tesco plans to open a supermarket.
    This rezoning relates to plans from the Booth family to develop a 2,215sqm supermarket and 10 lock-up retail units, providing a gross retail space of 1006sqm.
    Designed by Meville Dunbar Architects, another building in the project will extend to 538sqm and accommodate a wine bar, restaurant and a bank. A fast food outlet, a kiosk and a 2,010sqm comparison goods store will also be included in the development, as will 2,402sqm of offices, a petrol station and a 337-space car park.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/councils-still-rezoning-1887183.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

mmm. is that across from st michaels park that they are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

think its supposed to be sandy lane opp school?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,374 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this is not such a big deal.

in 2004 planing permission was granted to Pat Moore Partnership for:

"construct a new road to serve the proposed development between Portlaoise Rd & Ballymorris Rd incl new junctions to the existing rds & bus stop lay-bys b) a new dropping off lay-by opposite the existing primary school in Sandy Lane c) a supermarket providing 2215sq.m of retail space with service yard & storage accom d) 10 lock-up retail units providing a total retail space of 1006 sq.m at ground floor level with 2 stories of accom comprising 18 2bed apts, doctors surgery & health ctr e) building with gross area of 538 sq.m for use as wine bar/restaurant & bank f) building with total gross area of 163 sq.m for use as fast food outlet g) kiosk 57 sq.m of retail space h) building providing a total 1654 sq.m of office space & having a semi basement car park of 1486 sq.m providing parking for 61 cars i) creche with gross area of 511sq.m. accomm 102 children j) all necessary parking, roads, service yards, foul & surface water drainage & all associated site works"
    (subject to some changes) This permission has probably expired at this stage.
    This land has been granted retail and commercial permission within the last 5 years, and the reason for rezoning, i assume, is simply to allow similar planning permissions be permitted on these lands.

I for one, would be delighted to see some new business open in Portarlington. Like it or not, a lot port people currently travel to portlaoise and tullamore to the likes of dunnes and tescos for their shopping. Im sure supervalue wont be too happy though, and it would probably sound the death-knell for costcutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

sydthebeat wrote: »
    this is not such a big deal.

in 2004 planing permission was granted to Pat Moore Partnership for:

"construct a new road to serve the proposed development between Portlaoise Rd & Ballymorris Rd incl new junctions to the existing rds & bus stop lay-bys b) a new dropping off lay-by opposite the existing primary school in Sandy Lane c) a supermarket providing 2215sq.m of retail space with service yard & storage accom d) 10 lock-up retail units providing a total retail space of 1006 sq.m at ground floor level with 2 stories of accom comprising 18 2bed apts, doctors surgery & health ctr e) building with gross area of 538 sq.m for use as wine bar/restaurant & bank f) building with total gross area of 163 sq.m for use as fast food outlet g) kiosk 57 sq.m of retail space h) building providing a total 1654 sq.m of office space & having a semi basement car park of 1486 sq.m providing parking for 61 cars i) creche with gross area of 511sq.m. accomm 102 children j) all necessary parking, roads, service yards, foul & surface water drainage & all associated site works"
    (subject to some changes) This permission has probably expired at this stage.
    This land has been granted retail and commercial permission within the last 5 years, and the reason for rezoning, i assume, is simply to allow similar planning permissions be permitted on these lands.

I for one, would be delighted to see some new business open in Portarlington. Like it or not, a lot port people currently travel to portlaoise and tullamore to the likes of dunnes and tescos for their shopping. Im sure supervalue wont be too happy though, and it would probably sound the death-knell for costcutters.

+1

But it doesn't mean i won't stop shopping in local stores that i do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

undecided wrote: »
    think its supposed to be sandy lane opp school?
    ah yeah, thats where i was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Did it get the actual go ahead yet ?

Advertisement